Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scenic53 plate 5 door.

I was a contented Scenic (Mark1) owner for 12 years. Excellent car 160,000 on clock - no problems.

6months ago I purchased a more uptodate model to reduce mileage count. 2 months ago my back windows started going up and down whilst I was driving (then no response to buttons). Turning engine on/off allowed response to buttons to close.

Came back from holiday (Feb) and Car storage coy told me back window had just gone down (opened) of own accord. Took to garage who motored it shut then disconnected wires (To fix costs 350pounds) x 2 windows

Then tinny noise from engine when starting - told this is 'defuse ....?.' but basically will damaged engine if not fixed (600 pounds).

Yesterday my dashboard started blinking and beeping and today went blank (Dashboard Cluster - to fix 600pounds.

I have read re Dashboard cluster Renault fix, but what is happening to the Electrics ?? Is this a common sequence for electrical problems in the Scenic 2's (ie '53's). Any advice on lessoning the exhorbatant costssuggested.

I will approach dealer tomorrow re Dashboard Cluster fix for 100 pounds - thanks.

I have not paid out for any of work yet as too much money to spend atm.

O

·
0 Posts
Same here. I had a MK1 phase 2 for 7 years and updated to a mk2 as the cam belt broke on the old one.:(

Loads of irritating issues, drives badly, hesitates when pulling away and between gears. Hard suspension, twitchy back end. I can't see why other owners go on about the ride comfort, but I'm sticking with it for some reason.:crazy:

The windows are covered in this forum if you look, seems to be quite common.
The noise you mention is the dephaser, its a common fault especially on the 1.6 engine. The timing belt will need replacing too, as well as various rollers.:rolleyes:

They seem to be better built after 2006, but that wouldn't be difficult.:d

P

·
0 Posts
Talk to RCS about the windows too, they may contribute if it turns out to be the regulators as they have been a common problem

failing that you can get pattern regulators much cheaper than that

·
Registered
76 Posts
Last Renault Scenic I saw with that problem on the windows, turned out to be water in the main harness multi-plug under the front passenger seat floor, the water was shorting out the pins in the plug and required several circuits to be rewired, you need to be very careful disturbing the plug because the rotted out wires fall away from their positions and the colours do not correspond on the other side.

Regards

Atex31:cool:

O

·
0 Posts
you need to be very careful disturbing the plug because the rotted out wires fall away from their positions and the colours do not correspond on the other side.
Good grief, it sounds more like a vintage car restoration not one less than a decade old.:d

·
Registered
76 Posts
It's a bit grim but I have had 6 Scenics and 2 Meganes with the water under the floor damaging the wiring problem so far.
I had to turn one away at Christmas due to too much workload and as far as I know, it is still having the bugs ironed out by the garage it went to.
They also suffer from the under-bonnet fusebox filling up with water, 3 Scenics so far! (puddle jumping is not recommended).

O

·
0 Posts
Don't mean to steal the thread, but when you say about water under the passenger seat floor, is it accessible, just so I can check mine.:eek:

·
Registered
76 Posts
On the Scenic there is usually a pocket under the passengers seat, flip the front down and you should be able to see under the floor with a Mag Light, there is a large multi-plug which rests on the floor of the car with obvious results with only a very small amount of water.
To actually work on the multi-plug, the passenger seat needs to be un-bolted and removed, (mind the wiring on the seat).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to responders so far. Appreciate what I outlined appears common faults in the Renault Mark2. :(

Renault Dealer has car tomorrow to review dashboard and will offset cost 'IF' dashboard cluster. Now concerned that it will be found to be a 'different' fault so total cost attributed to me !!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Car returned from dealership. Dashboard Cluster confirmed and changed. Minimal cost thankfully.

One down - 2 problems to go !!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts