Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Back from the tranquility of a tropicl beach for the winter into the Renault world of obtuse. I rebuilt an F9Q motor and the gasket set included two silicone strips to insert in the groves on the rear main bearing cap. In my day a piece of cord impregnated with graphite or something with a wire reinforcement in the center was used to seal the sides of the cap. The old style always worked for me but the new has not:crying2:.
The workshop manual calls for using a product called Rhordorseal 5661. Before installing the cap you put a coat of the Rhordorseal on the sealing surfaces. After the cap is installed you inject the Rhordorseal into the groves with a syringe. The Rhordorseal is like sylicone but is a two part mix containing a catalyst. It is no longer available from what I can see. I would imagine it has been replaced by the new silicone products. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this and what product they used. I don't want to have to do it a third time!!
I used hymolar on the cap sealing surfaces and the silicone strips. I am still inclined to use the Hymolar on the cap surfaces because the space between the sides of the cap and the block seem too small to use sylicone sealant. I would then tamp a high quality silicone into the grooves and let it dry for one day before instaling the pan. I have also seen Loctite 510 cited as a product to use.
Any insights would be appreciated.
Papy Pedro

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
42,293 Posts
RTV sealant I use, never had an issue..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts