Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 scenic fiji with 16" alloys(as standard i am guessing). It is wearing 205 50 r16 tyres. can anyone tell me if these wheels will take any lesser size tyres cos 205's are too many pennies for me. Thanks. uppatree

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.:)

I definately wouldn't fit smaller tyres to the rims you have,but if you look on ebay,you might be able to find a set of smaller steel wheels with trims from the same model that have the corresponding higher profile(but overall smaller) tyres on them which would be cheaper to replace in the future.

Second hand steel wheels are worth next to nothing,and you would probably pick up a set with good tyres on them for less than a pair of new tyres for yours!(remember to replace the spare too:))

How much have you been quoted for tyres for yours?

Have you shopped around for the best deal?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Best price i've found online is £72 a pair delivered (tng star performer.japanese crap i think). My fiji looks great with its alloys, but your idea is good. Im gonna check it out and see if i can save a few bucks, the alloys can save for wealthier times. Thanks for your quick response.

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi uppatree, be careful, as you may invalidate your insurance if you use a tyre that was not OEM or homolgated to the car ... ie if you change the size,width, profile, speed rating or load index esp the latter two.

You really need to tell your insurer, as if you have an accident that can be attributed to the tyres/wheels not conforming to the minimum specification (oem, check your handbook) for your model (Fiji as opposed to Scenic2) they may invalidate your claim.

Hope it helps :)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
It depends if the Fidji came with alloys as standard,or as an option.

Insurance companys usually get funny if you fit alloys to a car that had steellys on it as if one of them gets damaged,it costs them more!.

You should tell your insurance company,though,and I'm sure they'll offer you a discount on your premium......YEAH,RIGHT!Theiving ba5tards!:)

Wise words indeed,TB.:).

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
I actually had a mate who wrote-off an Audi A4 by rolling it into a field, when the loss adjuster visited the recovered car he notice that is was wearing 195x15 H rated tyres, the homologation was 205x15 V rated and they refused to cover the car as the tyres were not to specification ... he ended up selling the scrap for 2k .. and took a 8k loss on the car, all because he saved £100 on buying "cheaper" boots .... I can tell you it hurt him a lot ...

Honest a true story... :eek:

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Bl00dy hell!

A lesson learned......the hard way.:eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi there. thanks for response. just been to mytyres.co.uk but cant find owt for 65 quid. all they can offer me is goodyear eagles at 95 quid delivered. if i could find the £65 ones I'd snap them up. was it recently you saw this price.

thanks.

uppatree

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi mate, I saw them last night (and they still have them listed).

At the search form, click on budget tyres and that you are wanting 2 tyres - don't select a speed rating, and it will offer up the full range.

Get the page to display results in increasing price order - tyres are called Multistrada Achilles and are £32.70 each including delivery.

Hope that helps you.

Paul:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Found them at last!
I was putting all season tyres in the search, thats why it wasnt showing me them. got them on order now, thats the price i was looking for. Your a star m8.
cheers
uppatree:)

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
You're very welcome - glad to have been a help.

Paul:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts