Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I haven't seen a post relating to this so I wonder if anyone knows?

My 98 Scenic front sunroof is almost closed but the motor stopped. I can hear a little whine (about 2 seconds) from the motor when pressing the switch (and the relay) so i guess power is getting to the motor but the mechanism is either stuck or the motor does not have enough gusto to move it.

Its a lovely day, the sunroof is removed and I can see the motor through the interior light holes (lights removed).

Can anyone suggest anything please?

S

·
0 Posts
Are the tracks clear of any rubbish? The other thing is to put it all back together and then keep the close button pressed for a few seconds. Unless I'm imagining things, it's supposed to go through a reset routine?

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hi,

I haven't seen a post relating to this so I wonder if anyone knows?

My 98 Scenic front sunroof is almost closed but the motor stopped. I can hear a little whine (about 2 seconds) from the motor when pressing the switch (and the relay) so i guess power is getting to the motor but the mechanism is either stuck or the motor does not have enough gusto to move it.

Its a lovely day, the sunroof is removed and I can see the motor through the interior light holes (lights removed).

Can anyone suggest anything please?

Hello & Welcome to the Forums.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions. I've been a lurker for a while but unfortunately not been able to contribute as yet.

Ok, I've got further - there is an allen screw in the middle of the black plastic circular mechanism which is part of the motor.

If I turn this, and it does need a forceful snap rather than a twist, the mechanism opens a little while and will eventually open all the way with about 3 or 4 snaps to restart. It is the same to close.

There appears to be no rubbish, quite clean and lubricated on the slides.

Is there any way I can lube in the metal tubes going between the motor and the slides?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thanks for that.

I don't think its a zero point reset problem, but I'll take it on board in case.

After 10 minutes of opening/closing it will now do it on its own. Closing is fluid, but opening is a little jerky.

I still have to refit the glass so that will put extra load on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
try a good spray grease on the slides / tubes
Thanks - all I has was WD40 in the shed, I've used this but will invest in some silicon grease or similar vehicle orientated product. It may purely be a lack of use that has led to this.

Is there anyway to get the lube to the inside of the tubes easily?

The glass is back on and it is still opening/closing. I'll make a point of continuing to use to try and ease some more.

Thanks again for all replies. Enjoy the hot weather if you are lucky to have some.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well this morning it started to open, went half way to the first stage and stopped. I closed it, opened fully to the first stage and its now stuck fast again.

It will need some more permanent rectification or a bigger hammer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts