Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After hours of trying I have now got my brothers scenic started after changing the pencil coils,sparkplugs and 2 TDC sensors,But now I have got it running I now think it was a fuel problem.When I start it,it ticks over perfect,just under 1000rpm and is firing on all cylinders as when I took of each of the leads the engine cuts down.the problem is when I rev it up to about 4500rpm the revs go erratic and the engine cuts out instantly.The car then struggles to start again.Could this problem be related to the fuel filter or fuel pump at the rear of the car sucking in air,Down by the fuel filter at the back there is a slight whistling noise,is this normal.A mechanic said when it would not start that water might of got in to the ecu,now it has started and ticks over perfect without any warning lights can this be ruled out.

Thanks

2000 Renault megane scenic 1.6 16valve

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
I wonder if water got into the multiplugs for the lambda sensors. They plug into the exhaust pipe so are quite low down and feed bask info to the ECU which is used to alter injection levels. May be worth a quick look. Also make sure the vacum pipe from the inlet manifold to the MAP sensor is not cracked.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replys.
Well, I just went out to check lambada sensor under car so I tried to jack the car up,but the car would not go high enough to put a ramp under the wheel so I put a block of wood under the wheel instead,but still I could not fit under it .So I sat in the car and tried to start it,it started straight away and even reved up.Is it now running because the car is on a slight angle?:)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Sounds like a loose connection or water moving around or a blocked silencer or CAT whereby the innards are moving around maybe thats the reson for the whisling sound. Has the car been subjected to flooding or driving through heavy surface water. A CAT runs at avery high temperature and a sudden shock of cold water can cause internal fractures. If the exhaust is blocked the Lambda sensor cant give an accurate reading and subsequently the ECU will register a fault. With engine stopped hit the CAT and the silencers and see if they rattle and be careful don't get burnt:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After it started and run properly a few hours ago my brother has now taken it back home,about 8 miles and he said it was running perfect:) ,so I am now waiting for him to phone again in a few days to say it has broken down again,I just cant understand why one minute it was struggling to start and rev up without cutting out, Then a few seconds later and still it starts first time.I think there must have been a loose connection,its just how long will it last before it stops again.

Thanks for the replys

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Yeh my neighbours 1997 Megane done something similar - wouldn't rev up when going forward and cut out completely when going in reverse. Eventually found a broken earth cable at the rear of the timing belt cover of the engine which would only make proper contact when the engine was in at rest. The fuel pump relay kept buzzing. I cut the cable and made a direct connection to the battery earth connections - its going fine now. Yeh intermittent problems can drive you crazy:steam:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts