Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the headlights on my Scenic has started to delaminate due to UV damage. Before I get to work with the buffing wheel and toothpaste can anyone suggest how I might remove the top layer (a thin plastic layer) which, as you can see from the photo, is peeling off the lens which I assume is plastic not glass. Where it hasn't peeled off it is still well and truly attached.

Any other suggestions gratefully received. Oddly this is only happening on one side, and the side most often sheltered from the sun here.
Would a headlamp cleaning kit be a better bet?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,410 Posts
I had similar miseries with the 2 Charades and the Merc W168 I have/had .............. stripped light units from vehicle, orbital sander with 360 paper remove whole top layer (make sure of this). Hand and 600 water paper, make it smooth baby. Hand and 1000 water paper, give it another go till they all look and feel uniform and smooth as a baby's bottom.

Allow to dry in the sun.

Remove from the sun to an area you hosed down with water to get rid of dust and apply 2 single thin coats of clear 2K (polyurethane) paint about 15 minutes apart.

If all goes to plan after drying overnight they should be close to perfect again - QED:wink2:

If your paint is too thick you will get a crackly finish and will have to start over:crying2:

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for this but weren't yours glass units. I think mine is plastic.

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for this. Added to my shopping list when I am in UK next month. Did you spray or brush the PU?

·
Premium Member
4,410 Posts
Spray .............. I seem to be forever having to restore/fix all sorts of things - 200L compressor running 8Bar in workshop

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lucky you. I have neither workshop nor compressor any longer. It's too hot and windy outside to be spraying anything at present.
Thanks again for the tips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts