Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this afternoon, my scenic has started to kick a lot of smoke out of the back of the car (exhaust).
the smell is a slightly burning smell,and theres a fair bit of smoke when i accelerate and when the engine is idleing.

anyone have any idea what the cause could be? bad diesel? (filled up sunday) exahust gone? ect ect.

(had a look through the forum but couldn't find a post to help)

thanks for any anticipated replies
N_W

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
What colour is the smoke?

Are the oil and coolant levels OK?

You haven't filled with petrol in error?

How far have you driven since the fill up?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sounds a lot like turbo seals gone. This pretty much means that you need new turbo. Is the smoke coming from exhaust whitish/blue? Is the car using any oil?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the smoke is a grey colour.very dense and strong smell.
renault recently did a 25 point check on it (when i had the parking brake recall) and oil/coolant was ok.will double check later though. haven't filled with petrol,i always check!!. its been about 20-25 miles since the fill up.

hope its not the turbo.
i have been getting the check injection warning occasionally,and car went a bit sluggish (lost power) could that be linked?

whts the best action to take now? see an indipendant garage or renault dealer?

cheers for the help so far

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
I suggest you have the cause of the smoke investigated. Unusual smoke form an exhaust is never a good sign and if left unattended it could result in serious engine damage.

My advice would be not to drive the car uneccessarily ubtil you find the source of the problem.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
EGR valves on this engine bung up with oily gunk and stick, they cause loss off power and smoke, you can take it off, wash it out in petrol and re-fit

1 - 7 of 7 Posts