Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Scenic has developed an intermitant fault which is getting more regular in that on start-up a "check injection" service message is displayed and in limp mode. if turned off and re-started then message does not appear and drives fine. this doesn't happen everytime. also occasionally it wont idle cold until revved for a bit and on odd occasion won't catch at all.

after trawling forums i concluded TDC sensor fault, so took sensor off and cleaned it. problem fixed for 2 days then re-appeared. removed plug connector and cleaned with wd40 which fixed it for another couple of days. noticed new versions available with blue plugs so instead of buying renault part i bought a fuel parts one new from e-bay.

had a hell of a job connecting wires together as so short when plug cut off but just about mangaged it, fitted new sensor and problem gone... for a week! now same problem back again!!!:crazy:

if i disconnect and re-connect plug its better for a couple of starts but not great.

could the new sensor be duff in the same way as old sensor or am i looking at the wrong area?

any help would be much appreciated!

G

·
Not sure if this will help, but I noticed the other day when I disconnected my MAP sensor, in order to check it, that the check injection message came up and it wouldn't start until the 3rd or 4th time.

Check the wiring going to this sensor and if you can, check the sensor itself. Just an idea.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for replies.

is cleaning the throttle body a big job?

can it be done myself with limited tools and knowledge or is it a garage only job? do injectors need re-programming after this? what is a ball park charge for this to be done?

I can stop fiddling with tdc sensor now then?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Removing the throttle body is not too bad a job if you are mechanically minded.

A programme reinitialisation is when the adaptives of the ECU are reset to the factory settings. A reset helps becuase the cars computer basically learns and adapts to driving style and can at times maintain a faulty state. A programme reinitialisation can only be done at a Renault dealer or someone with Clip. Hope this helps.

G

·
A programme reinitialisation is when the adaptives of the ECU are reset to the factory settings. A reset helps becuase the cars computer basically learns and adapts to driving style and can at times maintain a faulty state. A programme reinitialisation can only be done at a Renault dealer or someone with Clip. Hope this helps.
Thanks, I've had that done by a garage using Clip, told me drive for 200 miles for it to work, but it made no difference.

muller 37. Taking the TB off is a piece of cake, but longwinded. You need to remove the wipers, cowling, engine bay panels, just to get to it. Make sure you have a dry hour or a garage to do it in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
would disconnecting the battery for an hour reset the ecu?

wow! looked in haynes manual and no mention of taking off wipers etc! they make everything look easy though!

can it be cleaned without removing? may get a mechanic in if It's that intensive.

thanks for your time and help.

G

·
Resetting the ECU that way is apparently a myth, but I don't know.
The TB, best to remove it to clean it, but depends on your handiness really. It's not hard, just fiddly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll probably have a go myself, just a little reluctant as afraid of not being able to put it back together afterwards!

I've heard of issues with idle too fast after cleaning. is it something I can avoid by not removing it? don't want to replace a problem with another lol!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
on a side note I've noticed a slight popping through the exhaust on idle. its kind of like when a coil goes down but no where near as severe (past experiences). :-( its not there in driving though but car seems better some days than others performance wise.

could this be throttle body symptom too? I understand the throttle plate sticking will hinder performance and idle speed but would it cause a slight mis-fire feeling?

I really appreciate your help and guidance btw :)

G

·
I really appreciate your help and guidance btw :)
:eek:
Blush. Just passing on my limited experience and knowledge gleaned from this forum.

Here's something to try.
Disconnect the airducting where it joins the TB, just one jubilee clip to loosen on mine, should be same on yours. Wiggle the pipe off the TB.

With a mirror, you can angle it to look inside the TB. You may well be able to see whether it needs further work, eg dirty or too open. With a friend in the car, you can also see what happens in there when the engine is revved.
Saves taking it all apart for nowt.:d

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.