Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, hope you can help me please. I am changing the Diesel Fuel filter on a Scenic II 1.5 106BHP. I have disconnected the old filter and reconnected the new filter. According the Haynes book, you need to open the drain tap at the bottom of the new filter, then pump the priming bulb to refill the filter and stop when all the air has been purged out the new filter. I have done this however when pumping the bulb no diesel is flowing throw the bulb to the filter. Its as if the priming bulb does nothing at all. I have checked the bulb for cut and holes and there are none. Does the bulb have a one way valve in it ? Have tried pumping bulb with ignition on and that doesnt make a difference. Think im missing something but not sure what. Thanks Phil
:eek:

·
Registered
41 Posts
hi m8 i had the same problem a few week ago the primer bulb would not suck the diesel up to pressurise the system, in the end i gave up and had to call the AA out and he had to use his own primer bulb straight on to the filter it took a while to pump the diesel up and eventually it pressured the system and started first push, the AA guy said it was problebly just to much air for the primer bulb to handle or the primer bulb was duff, and to top it off the battery went flat cranking it over,not a good day lol hope this helps in some sort of way

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Opening the drain valve isn't the way to bleed the system.
First disconnect the inlet pipe going to the filter - try primng the system and see if feul flows. If so then disconnet the filter out let pipe and then continue to prime.

Some modesl have a non-return valve on the primer bulb whereas othe have it in the fuel line just outside the feul tank unit.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hiya, Many thanks for the replys, We have disconnected the inlet supply to the filter and pumped the bulb, but still no diesel flows through. Have pumped the bulb for 5 minutes flat but nothing. This is why I wondered if there maybe a dodgy one way valve.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Remove the fuel tank filler cap. Disconnect the inlet pipe to the fuel filter - squeeze the blub as far as you can - place your finger over the end of the pipe and release the primer bulb. Repeat this procedure a few times - sometimes it enough to get the fuel moving.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Madnoel, will give this a go. Hopefully its enough to get the fuel moving again. If not I guess the bulb's probably dodgy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi folks,

Having the same problem here with a grande scenic II.
Can anyone confirm which is the inlet pipe, white or black?

Should the one with the bulb on it be disconnected from the filter first to be primed, then reconnected?

Many thanks
Sparks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts