Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i was wondering is it possible to buy K&N filters for DCI engines. I had one on my last car - Saxo VTS but i had that Superchipped, Cat-less and Induction kit that was enclosed in a box and all worked together. I was thinking as my car has a turbo would this give an even better response when driving?

Any thought please!

Dave

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Hello, was thinking about for a K&N for my Scenic as well. I believe the part number is 33 - 2849 for the K&N. I reckon that is should benefit the vehicle, better breathing, hope this helps, regards Damian. :)

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand that the better a car breathes it should give better performance so on a turbo car that should be multiplied i guess?

Anyone else?

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
No not at all. Your older car had what is known as a naturally aspirated engine and relied on normal air pressure for its air intake. A turbo-charged car takes in air and presurises it to a pretermined pressure and it has an in-built system which cuts out when the intake air pressure reaches a certain level. This is set up at the factory assuming that all the ancillary equipment (air filter, pipework, etc) is as standard. So by changing anything connected there is a distinct possibilty you may actually reduce the performance. With relatively modern car engines it is now well accepted the performance cannot be enhanced by simple bolt-on bits. If you really want to boost the performance you may be able to have it chipped (in other words the engine management system is re-programmed). Remember any improvement in performance will result in higher fuel consumption and shorter engine life. It's the old saying - there's no such thing as a free lunch!!:rofl:

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
A better flowing filter can improve turbo spool up, and gains can be had on turbo diesels from air intake improvements (10bhp extra on a re-mapped Skoda Fabia vRS with improved air intake and panel filter vs standard intake). But the improvement isn't as noticible on an otherwise standard car... if indeed, there is any improvement at all due to ecu constraints.

I run a Green Cotton panel filter in my Laguna, and my father runs one in his dCi Clio. Other than the benefit of being able to clean the filters every few months instead of buying replacements, performance wise I can't say I've noticed any difference. Maybe if I was to get the Laguna remapped then the story would be different...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts