Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I wonder if someone could possibly help me out.

For the last couple of days my stop light and oil pressure message has appeared when the engine was cold. After a few seconds it would go out. The oil was a little low even though the computer says its fine.

Anyway this morning I drove around the road and suddenly there is now a noise coming from the engine when you rev it up which sounds like maybe metal rubbing together. When the car is idleing it is totally fine. Again the oil pressure message had turned itself off.

I took it straight home and I am now scared to drive or start it.

I was kind of thinking that maybe it was the oil pump but thats probably wishful thinking and its likely to be something far more expensive knowing my luck.

Any help is most appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
First off, have you checked the level of the oil manually rather than relying on the cars computer?

Secondly, if the level is fine, I think your first guess may well be correct in that the oil pump has failed or is failing! Either way, an expert opinion is most definitely required as metal on metal sounds from an engine are fatal..........do not drive it until it has been looked at! Failing oil pump issues, there may well be some damage to the internals which is causing the sounds you hear; piston rings etc.

Out of interest, are you getting any smoke out of the exhaust?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Scatz,

Thanks for replying.

To confirm the oil level when checked was a little low but nothing serious. I topped it up and it still made the same sound.

There is no smoke from the exhaust which hopefully is a good sign.

I did forget to mention one thing and that was when the sound started there was a very breif loss of power when driving (only about 2 seconds) and then it all picked up again ok. I am not sure but there may have been a little clonk at the same time but definately now there is just the noise when revving.

So I better get it checked out. I have a mechanic friend that is going to try and pop round this evening to have a listen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very difficult to say without looking or listening personally! Let us know what you mechanic friend reckons :)
My friend has taken a look and he believes it is the turbo. He says its not a sound of metal rubbing together as I thought but more a loud whirring sound. He did a few things to the car and explained in detail why he thought it was that but it went over my head a little.

The said the clonk I heard along with the slight loss of power for a few seconds was probably something breaking off in the turbo and then the power loss was that bit working through the turbo and then getting thrown out of the exhaust.

I have been given a price of £312 for an exhange recon turbo or £399 for a brand new one.

Having said that I have another friend who has just been given a Megane 1.9 DTI which is dead and he offered me the turbo for £100 but i'm not sure if it will be the same part because my engine is a 1.9 DCI.

As for the low oil pressure, my friend was not sure of the cause of this and suggested it be checked on a pressure gauge. He said it may be likely that because my oil was pretty low that it may not have been getting to the turbo and therefore picking up a fault.

So that's the story so far but if anything changes I will post it up for future reference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.