Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

When I picked up my 2005 Scenic I knew the aircon wasn't working, and the car was priced accordingly. Just taken it to my regular garage, who I've used for years, and he's diagnosed the following:

Excessive corrosion of the condenser, particularly where it joins the high pressure pipe, which is also badly corroded. As a result, pressure is not being maintained. He says the only solution is to replace both the condenser and high pressure pipe. I don't have an issue with this, but he's quoting me a price of £450 all in.

To those who know these cars better than me, two questions: is the solution he's suggesting the correct one, and does his price seem fair? As I say, I've used the guy for years, he's an old school mechanic and doesn't cut corners. He only ever uses top notch OEM parts or equivalent.

Your thoughts would be really appreciated! :d​

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Did the corrosion occur from the outside or from within the air-con system?

It's rare for it to occur from within but if that is the case there may be other damage.

If he is fitting a Renault condensor and pipe then the price is about right - you also have to consider the system will need recharged the price of that alone is udually £50.

Has he gave you a breakdown cost of parts and labour?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did the corrosion occur from the outside or from within the air-con system?

It's rare for it to occur from within but if that is the case there may be other damage.

If he is fitting a Renault condensor and pipe then the price is about right - you also have to consider the system will need recharged the price of that alone is udually £50.

Has he gave you a breakdown cost of parts and labour?
Thanks! Yes the corrosion is external. He's saying the condenser is around £72+VAT and the pipe is around £137+VAT, all OEM parts. The balance is for labour and, of course, re-gassing the system. The pipe is the long one by the way, that goes to the evaporator. The garage man seemed almost embarrassed to tell me this was the most expensive part!

The cost just seemed a lot, but I guess it's right given the amount of work involved. Have to sort myself out a couple of Saturdays' overtime in that case! :crazy:

Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts