Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I had a droning noise from my Scenic last year and as the rear discs were shot, I bought (from an internet auction site) some brake disc/hub assemblies to sort the rear discs and bearings at the same time. I had a droning noise after the hubs were replaced so I changed the rear tyres as they were close to the wear limit and the MOT was looming. The droning noise all but went away.

Over the past few weeks, the droning has returned with a vengeance. The tyres are relatively new and the hubs were fitted last August. Has anyone any suggestions as to what's causing the droning noise. I'd like to think that the hub bearings are OK, but as they were not genuine Renault parts, I'm leaning towards having the hub/disc assemblies replaced (again).
Regards,
abdr1 :confused:

O

·
0 Posts
Try different road surfaces. If the sound changes, it's probably the tyres.

The Mk1 Scenics had some alignment problems, resulting in premature tyre wear, but as far as I know the Mk II doesn't.

R

·
0 Posts
If you jack the car up and spin the rear wheels by hand can you hear anything then? is the noise there all the time when your driving?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, I had a droning noise from my Scenic last year and as the rear discs were shot, I bought (from an internet auction site) some brake disc/hub assemblies to sort the rear discs and bearings at the same time. I had a droning noise after the hubs were replaced so I changed the rear tyres as they were close to the wear limit and the MOT was looming. The droning noise all but went away.

Over the past few weeks, the droning has returned with a vengeance. The tyres are relatively new and the hubs were fitted last August. Has anyone any suggestions as to what's causing the droning noise. I'd like to think that the hub bearings are OK, but as they were not genuine Renault parts, I'm leaning towards having the hub/disc assemblies replaced (again).
Regards,
abdr1 :confused:
Sorry I forgot to mention that when the droning turns into a howl around 70mph, and I turn into a right corner (motorway) the noise does diminish substantially.....indicating a possible LH rear wheel bearing fault, however, the rear hubs were new only 15k miles ago.

R

·
0 Posts
Does sound like a bearing in which case you should be able to feel / hear some thing if you turn the wheel by hand. It could have been a defective bearing before you even fitted the new rear disk assemblies?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts