Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi noobie here,
Apologies if this has been posted before, couldnt find it anywhere.
I have Scenic 2004, had it 6 months have noticed that on moving off in first gear, the car occasionally jerks for a second before recatching the gear. Is this a clutch or gearbox fault. Could this be a "slipping clutch"? Took it to a mechanic but it didn't happen when he tested it.
Any help appreciated.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Hi Mudddy, my guess is if it didn't happen when the mech tried it then maybe you're just not giving it enough gas? Or is it something that's recently started happening?

If you increase the revs slightly and it doesn't happen then it's unlikely the clutch, I doubt it's that anyway - the revs will rise but not the acceleration if the clutch slips, it doesn't usually cause a jerk or judder.

Does it feel like the clutch snapping in quickly? If so, try releasing it more gently whilst increasing the revs by the same amount - or does it judder away until you get going properly? There's a few things can cause this but we could do with some more detail.

Could be a number of things really, firstly make absolutley sure it's not just the way it's being driven and then post back with as much info about the symptoms as you can, there's plenty of clever guys here can help once they have a better idea of what's happening. :)

First gear jerk? Nope, I'm not limited to just first gear, I'm a jerk in any.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice.
I'm quite hopeless at car mechanics :crazy: (as you've probably guessed). The reason the mechanic coudn't notice the fault is because it only happens periodically. I tend to drive to one standard, so its not that its felt with a change in driving style. My wife who also uses the car has also noticed it.

My description is probably bad as well. But it really just feels like the gear has become disengaged for a second, but then re-engages, that the best description. There's not much of a judder, as the effect doesn't last that long.
Also I don't think its related to the level of gas applied, I recognise that jerking effect, but this totally different, its a lot more subtle. I did initially think that gas might be the cause but am now certain its not because even when revs slightly high i've still felt it.

The worry is the warranty expired a few months ago, so it could become a costly affair. I'm seriously considering taking out a third party warranty, for risks sake.

Appricate the help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts