Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 scenic has just been in for some repairs and a service and 2 of the jobs were rejected by Renault as being normal "Wear and Tear". I just wondered if anyone else has the same issues as my last car, an 04 scenic did but not to the extent of the new one.

On the gearstick shroud the stitching in 2 seams has frayed, although still intact the seems near 2nd and 5th gear positions have fraying on the thread stitching the four panels together.

On both Driver and Passenger sides, the cloth on the door pillar trim immediately in front of the adjustable height seat belt guide are discoloured and scuffed due to the seatbelts presumably rubbing against them. Now both my wife and I have the seats in different positions and the seatbelt guides at different height, but the wear is on both sides. The belt definateley does not seem to contact when putting it on, but does when winding itself back and when any of us sit forward for any reason.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hello & Welcome to the Forums Srob.

I have had 2 Scenic IIs both from new, March 05 reg and a March 07 reg ,, I have not ecountered either of the faults mentioned, My current car has an odd squeak from the gaitor when changing gears .

Renault usually only cover the Items you have mentioned in the first year only, I would push further tho.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
55 Posts
When my brother got his 54 plate Scenic, the drivers side trim by the seat belt has worn very badly, and had discoloured. Every time I get in his car I still notice it.

I have read that some people have managed to get Renault to replace this pillar trim, but it depends on the dealer. When I did the deal for him on his Scenic, the drivers satin door pull had flaked away and I insisted they sort it out - something they did as part of the deal - I hadn't noticed the seat belt trim beforehand.

Incidentally my 2006 Grand Scenic had started to do the same - as soon as I noticed, I have adjusted the height of the seat belt and found a position where when it is fastened it doesn't rub and wear the trim.

I have to say I wouldn't be at all happy being told this was trim wear, as if I hadn't adjusted mine, it would have been really bad, some 10 months into a brand new car. Push this to be replaced, then adjust the height and it should stay in good order.

You're not on your own on this one!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
My 54 plate is doing exactly the same. I know the warranty guy personally at one of my local dealerships, so I might chance my arm with him and see how I get on.
Fingers crossed eh :rolleyes:

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 53 plate Scenic II is also fraying on the gearlever gator

·
Registered
55 Posts
Both mine and my Brothers Scenic II are Privilege specification - 54 and 06 plate.

The problem is definately down to the position that the seat belt height adjuster is left at. Once in the 'wrong' position if you fasten the belt and lean forward it starts to wear the trim down. This over time then completely wears the pillar trim and it begins to split.

Hopefully Renault will replace the trim piece, given its not that old.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Both mine and my Brothers Scenic II are Privilege specification - 54 and 06 plate.

The problem is definately down to the position that the seat belt height adjuster is left at. Once in the 'wrong' position if you fasten the belt and lean forward it starts to wear the trim down. This over time then completely wears the pillar trim and it begins to split.

Hopefully Renault will replace the trim piece, given its not that old.

Thanks
Sorry, you did not state this in your previous post, As I have said in my previous posts Both my Scenic IIs Privilege models did/do not suffer from this yet we are always adjusting the belt height due to different drivers, Tho early days yet with the 07 model just 3 months & 5500 miles so far, Previous Scenic well over 36,000 miles .

My 05 Scenic suffered from nearly every thing else tho.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
26 Posts
had a look at mine today (53 plate Expression) the gator is split in the middle of the piece not on a seem and the re is a black mark on both door pillers from the seat belts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update

After months of arguing Renault have now agreed to replace the gearstick shroud, but are refusing to replace the Door Pillar Trim as they say quote " It is wear and tear from the way the seatbelt is used, and any replacement will only wear in the same way"

·
Registered
30 Posts
My October 2004 Scenic Privilege has the gear lever gaiter split, and the driver's door handle 'soft' trim peeling off - but, as we don't adjust the seat belt height, that bit's OK!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts