Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, Ive had a look at the threads etc but cant see a specific thread that will help me.

First though some photos.

I've had a knock from the front left side for some time now, about 4 / 5 months and then a newer scuffing type noise and all this only when going over speed bumps or potholes.

Yes, I should have done it some time ago but the weather etc all conspired against me.

So, I found the scuffing problem

Basically looks like part of the under engine shield has snapped but the bolts are still there, so ill have to get under there and sort that out.

So, first we can see the wheel off and immediately I find a multiplug that plugs into, well, nothing! Anyone have a clue what this is supposed to be at all?

So, getting the inner plastic arches off is a pain in the ass but nothing less than I expect of this car anymore :-(

So, all looks ok initially, all bushes and rubbers look ok

So I rock it and try to move everything but nothing then decide to get my big rubber mallet out and give a couple of whacks from under the hub to see if I can replicate a pot hole knock if you see what i mean.

Then suddenly I notice this at the bottom of the suspension spring.

So, how hard is it to replace the spring, anyone done it?
Any special tools required other than coil spring compressors?
And do I have to do the springs in pairs like you should do with shock absorbers?

I will check the other side as Im also going to be doing the front pads and discs as they were an advisory last MOT and I want to get them done before the next one.

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
Welcome to the busted spring club.

Yes it is advisable to renew the springs in pairs as in my experience when ones goes the other isn't far behind.

Once the strut is removed the spring can be changed using a decent set of spring compressors but check the top mount bearing before you re-assemble.

It may do no harm to allow for new drop-links - thye can be difficult to remove at times.

Sorry I haven't a clue as to what the multi-plug is for but judging from the dirt it hasn't been connected for some time.:)

G

·
The spring on my Lag was broken in the exact same way, I just replaced the whole unit with a second hand one for the MOT, and it's staying that way unless it conspires against me :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
madnoel, yes I suspected as much re the springs having to be replaced as a pair.:(

As for the multiplug, youre right looking at it, doubt its ever been connected to anything! I guess its something for a higher model maybe for monitoring tyre pressures or something.

Lags, when you say the whole unit, do you mean a complete spring and suspension damper etc?

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
I also considered fitting second hand springs but thought it wasn't worth the risk. On the Lag II's there is a high risk of a breaking spring puncturing the tyre and the CV boot. And as the price of two springs was £60 and the cost of having to replace a tyre and repairing the CV boot convinced me otherwise.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
managed to ring a couple of places just before they closed today too.

one said a rough price would be £210 to do it but didnt mention they should be done in pairs, the other said between £270 and £335 for both sides and whether the steering geometry would need realigning?

I'll be doing it all myself anyway as I also need to do the discs and pads but thought it still seemed steep to me.

Maybe Im wrong though.:(

G

·
Geometry won't be affected as there is no camber adjustment

Springs are about £60, the rest will be labour, took me about 2hrs, taking my time, hardest p[art is actually undoing the nuts on the drop links, right PITA, you are supposed to insert a torx bit that also actas as a allen, but they always end up turning inside, so you end up with mole grips on the balljoint instead.

Don't know why they don't make them so you can put a spanner on the balljoint.

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
You may be able to get a pair of springs for around £80 to £100 and if you can fit yourself all the better. When I changed mine I just dropped the struts and a local independent garage changed the springs over for £15 - saved all that hassle with screw compressors as he had a hydraulic compressor.

It would be worth getting the tracking checked as you'll disturb some other aspects such as drop links, etc, and considering the price of tyres nowadays it may save money in the long run.

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
The multiplug is probably for the height sensor which is fitted to models with Xenon headlights.I'm guessing your car doesn't have them but the same wiring loom is used for pretty much all variants of the same model hence why you have the spare connection.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Spot on guys, really appreciate all the feedback :)

I have found some springs on Ebay for only £45 odd quid a pair so that's more of a saving I'd think :)

Don't mind buying some spring compressors to be honest as Ill always have them then.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
I did mine a few weeks ago, and got my springs from Ebay, about the same price

As for the job, it took me a day to do both, and I changed both Drop links too, as I could not get the nuts undone. As mentioned, be prepared for the torx bit to just slip. So i ended up taking them off from the bottom and removing the link with the strut, then angle griniding off the top.

The worst bit was removing all the plastic shrouds to get to the blooming strut tops!! Also, my spring compressors, JUST managed to compress them enough.

It is a fairly easy job, and as you say, £45 in parts is not bad.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.