Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Scenic was in for a service today and garage said that my rear pads were 99% worn (take it they are quite bad then!) and that my discs were rusted.

They quoted me £300 for supply and fitting but I told them not to bother.

A few months back I changed the front pads and it was straight forward. However a friend says the rear pads are a nightmare and you need a special tool (which he bought).

How bad a job is it? Does the electric handbrake make it worse? Should my rear discs really be rusted beyond use at 36,ooo miles when my front ones are still the originals?

Anyone any idea of prices of genuine and non-genuine pads and discs for the Scenic? Its a 1.9dci.

Any other thoughts on the matter?

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
Discs always look rusty when the car has been in the rain, this rust will dissapear as soon as the brakes have been used, there is always a rim of rust on the edges of the discs. If the discs are rusty on the braking area all the time the brakes are not working.

Discs need replacing if they are heavily scored, warped or they are below the reccomended wear tolerance..

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Scenic rear brakes

Hi Scenicman – In my experience rear discs tend to deteriorate and get rusty quicker than the front – it’s down to all of the water and crud being thrown off the front wheels. Rusty discs will then cause excessive wear to the pads. In general rear pads and discs are more difficult to replace. Remember also some Renault rear discs carry the rear wheel bearings and if that is the case they will need to be changed over. I suggest you find out if that is the type fitted to yours as this would add to the cost and labour time involved. It may be worthwhile getting another opinion regarding their condition but a £300 bill may not be excessive when all aspects have been considered. If left as they are they could deteriorate to the point where your handbrake becomes poor and the car will fail its next MOT. See if you can get a better price elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Has your scenic got the manuel handbrake or the electronic brake fitted , It is not that straight forward as it seems you need to pull the red lever out in the boot, As madnoel says it might not be that bad a price you were quoted.

I was experiencing excessive brake squeal from my Scenic II and the dealership offered to fit an alternative compound brake pads but at the time Renault were the only place you could buy pads for the Scenic II from, Tho this might have changed since then, Also from your dealer you will have a warranty ..

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I don't think it should,as long as when you have the brakes apart the ignition is off.

I have recent experience of an apprentice switching the ignition on on a new Mitsubishi Shogun when I was replacing the rear pads.The piston pumped it's self out and fell on the floor.....oh how I laughed....not.:)

The only hassle you'll have is turning and pushing the rear pistons in.There is a special tool to do it,but a pair of long nosed pliers will work nearly as well.Both pistons should go in a clockwise direction,but this might have changed.....

The rear discs get rusty because they do very little work compared to the front ones,but I would be tempted to change them any way as then you know you are getting the full braking effort from them.

If you have a go yourself,good luck and let us know how it goes.:)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First of all , thanks to you all for your replies. After reading your comments, and the other threads regarding rear brakes, I took the car into Kwik Fit to get a quote of them and an inspection of the discs.
They said the discs still had some life left in them so car would only need pads. They supplied and fitted the pads for £65.
Renault dealer was wanting £30 or so for the pads alone so I thought that an extra £30 to get them done there and then, with no hassles was worth it. Usually avoid fast fit type places but have now found that they can be useful!

Incidentally, the discs were going to be about £90 from the dealer as they have bearings and ABS loop in them!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I Know this is a old post, however, I am in Gibraltar and have LHD Renault Scenic, really unsure of the year of make as the local Gibraltar Log book leaves a lot to be desired, but i am informed that it is 2004 petrol. I have been quoted 312 euros just for the rear brake discs + 30 euros for the brake pads. I have chasis number which is the only identifying feature for my make and model because the local Registration again is for local purposes only. Anyone able to provide a part number to see if i can get this cheaper elsewhere. the number for the discs i believe is BD1123, can anyone confirm? And will it being a LHD drive mean that i will have to get LHD parts or something or am i just showing my ignorance of cars?
Many Thanks you all in advance!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts