Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been using a 4-bike Thule cycle carrier on my towball but was wondering what is the maximum weight the towball can take?

Can't find it on the web anywhere? Anyone any idea?

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
I know these are not scenics but the last two Lags I've had show 75 kilo.

If you still have the Renault handbook it tells you in there toward the back.
:)

Addition for towers
But I don't like that much weight on the tow ball and go for around 60K the problem is the more you reduce the weight on the tow ball if you don't pack the rig right the more unstable it is.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I've had a dig around the various towbar manufacturers sites, but so far I've turned a blank. As Hondo says, it's most likely 75Kg for the standard Scenic, though the Grand Scenic might have a lower limit due to the weight of the extra passengers over the back axle.

Edit: Silly me, I forgot. If you actually have a towbar, then the maximum noseweight will be stamped on the type approval plate. The 'type approval' law for towbars was introduced in 1998, so if your car is S reg or later and has a towbar, it must have this plate somewhere on the bar by law. It may well be on the cross-member though, or another part that's normally hidden from view. You'll probably have to have a crawl around to find it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got my car back from the garage today so was able to check the manual and it states that the max weight is 75kg. This now gives me a dilemma.
I use my towball for carrying a Thule 4 cycle carrier and have done for the last year. Son is wanting new bike for Xmas so have been looking around and feeling the weights of them and this prompted me to check.

So car takes 75kg. Cycle carrier weighs 19kg. That leaves me 56kg for 4 (adult) bikes. How can I accurately weigh a bike? Stand on scales with and without the bike and see what difference it makes?

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
The 'type approval' law for towbars was introduced in 1998, so if your car is S reg or later and has a towbar, it must have this plate somewhere on the bar by law.
Whoops looks like I'm in the cr*p then when ******* re-arranged my tow bar plugs they didn't put the type approval plate back on, it was in the ash tray I dunno where it is now.
BTW I drive a white diesel super Mini, with a red roof and sign's saying "Rage Fury" on the doors.

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
I've just found the type approval plate, I better stick it back again on before I have Horatio knocking on the door ;)

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I'm not bothered, but if you ever meet PC Pedantic, you could be in trouble. I was talking to the towbar fitter who transplanted the bar off my old L2 onto the current one, and I mentioned the idea of giving it a coat of hammerite. He told me to make sure I masked the type approval plate if I did. Apparently it's that important!

If I did come round and knock on your door, that would certainly confuse the hell out of a lot of people who insist on thinking we're the same person. For some reason they can't see past 'starts with H and ends with O.'

Whenever I try knocking on my own door, I always seem to be out. I'm starting to suspect that I'm hiding from me :(

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
If I did come round and knock on your door, that would certainly confuse the hell out of a lot of people who insist on thinking we're the same person. For some reason they can't see past 'starts with H and ends with O.'

:(
Horatio I can't figure out why folks get confused and mix us up its easy really, you are blue and I'm orange, thats pretty easy isn't it? :confused: :rofl: :rofl:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts