Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! Wife and child many miles from me and the car wont start. Got the breakdown people to pick them and car up so will hopefully have them home soon.

So whats the issue? It has been taking 5 or 6 seconds to turn over for the last few days and then my wife said, it tried to turn over for a few seconds and then nothing. And nothing since except for 'sounds like a quiet machine gun' kinda noise when the start button is pressed.

All electrics in the car are working, lights, radio, windows, fan etc etc but nothing from the engine.

Any suggestions!

·
Administrator
21,725 Posts
If its making a rapid clicking sound when you press the starter button and from what you have described about it taking longer to start then my money is on the battery being at fault. The battery may well have enough juice in it to power the electrics but not to start the car.

Im suprised the breakdown man didnt know this and get the car started with a starter pack or even offer to replace the battery. :crazy::confused:

Saying that it could well be something else. :think:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for that. She is still waiting for them to turn up. Just heard from her, update is that there is nothing showing on dashboard at all now, fan not working, all thats working is external and internal lights.

·
Administrator
21,725 Posts
Renaults dont take kindly to voltage fluctuations. Lets hope its the battery and still sounds like that to me. Shouldnt cost you too much.

One thing to pass on to the wife. Before the breakdown person disconnects the battery, get her to switch the side lights on and leave them on till AFTER the battery has been connected. This stops spikes getting to the instrument cluster during the battery connection. Its a Renault thing. ;)

All the best and let us know what the outcome is. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car is getting onto the lorry apparantly and the breakdown driver has no idea how to disable the electronic handbrake. Glad I didnt do the run this evening...

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
There is a pull handle in the boot to the rear of the spare wheel, this releases the parking brake

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Asterix, however, they dragged it onto the lorry. Took it a garage and attempted to jump start it.
They disconnected the battery and then the doors locked, locking the keys inside. Subsequenly they have managed to get into the car and got it started up.
I hope the wife doesnt stall it on the way back. Thanks for all your assistance and help!

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
I hope all is fine from now on

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Morning update....
Went to the car and after a 25 mile run home last night it starts instantly. That has annoyed the Mrs very much but seems to me that she drained the battery last night.
Question is, when the start button is pressed makes three quick beeps while starting up. I presume that is a warning noise of some description?
Thanks for any help again.

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Question is, when the start button is pressed makes three quick beeps while starting up. I presume that is a warning noise of some description?
Thanks for any help again.
check out this post

"New to this sire but very grateful. I had the same problem and somewhere in the thread it was suggested to turn the ignition on and press the childlock button three times".

IT worked - problem solved. Thanks for your help

Or it could have happened when the tried to get into the car after locking keys inside...numpties

1 - 13 of 13 Posts