Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.9 dCi Scenic I, Phase 2, Fidji (53-plate). 70200 miles.

Have had an intermittent fault with the ABS cutting in at low speed for the last few weeks. Doesn't happen all the time - probably 30% of the time under normal braking, and more often under more severe (but not skid inducing) brake applications.

Noticed that one of my front reluctor rings was rusted through - so got hold of two new ones and fitted them. But the problem is still there - exactly the same as before.

Never had any problems with the ABS light coming on whilst I'm driving. It illuminates when the ignition is turned on and extinguishes within the normal few seconds. If I take the ABS fuse out the problem goes away - but the speedo and odometer don't work - and of course the ABS is disabled!

So now I'm thinking sensor unit - yes?

:confused:

·
Registered
18 Posts
We get this all the time its usually crap or dirt on the sensor itself usually metal filings now I wouldn't try and remove because they will probably brake off but if you can blow them off with a airline , The rear a little more tricky if disks or drums , remove either and blow/ wipe off sensors be careful on rear relucter ring fragile

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Scenic Intermittent ABS Problem ***FIXED***

Solved my ABS problem :d

After having replaced both front reluctor rings to no avail, I moved on to have a closer look at the rear ones.

Whilst checking the O/S one I noticed it was cracked. Removed the hub and was able to slide the ring off by hand.

It was a nice clean break so I removed the remaining rust from the ring, ground a V-notch on the inside face (the valley of the "V" being the break in the ring) and welded it back together. Ground the weld flush, cleaned up the hub and tapped the ring back into place.

Result - perfect brakes with no unwanted ABS "assistance"!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.