Independent Renault Forums banner

scenic ll electric hand brake recall

147K views 103 replies 54 participants last post by  Hbintleyvanos 
#1 ·
hi everyone i read on the forums about a possible recall for a software upgrade for the scenic ll, well i emailed customer services last week and they phoned me yesterday saying they are in the process of contacting owners through the dvla to recall the scenic for the upgrade,i dont know what models or years this involves but i own a 05 reg 1.6 and i have to take it to my local dealer next week to have it done which takes aprox 1 hour. hope this helps somebody.

#7 ·
I am, in South Africa and received a letter about the hand brake recall. It states "that if unpreformed you would be taking risk which Renault would prefer to avoid by carrying out this recall." The letter mentioned that the recall is necessary to "prevent the risk of an unexpected application of the automatic parking brake while driving."

#8 ·
Just had this recall, we have a 54 plate Grand Scenic II. Wondered if anyone had seen the result of this fault as the handbrake does engage with some serious amount of pressure. I'd imagine if it engaged while driving it would probably lock the rear wheels. Got to book ours in today.

#11 ·
ok, this was my post above, but it was not as straight forward

I used ther online booking system, all was ok, so i thought. Then 2 hours later, i got an email from my chosen dealer, asking me for my contact number as I had not put it on the form, so no problems, emailed it to them. All sorted. BUT

next morning I got a phonecall from the chosen dealer asking me what I was booking in for? So i explained it and they seemed unaware of the recall. They were asking me how they should book it in? was it a warranty job? so I said, how do I know you sent me the letter.

Then they said that I was not listed on their own database as the car's owner, and that they could not book it in. After another 15 mins of discussions they finally realised i was a new owner, albeit for 2 years, and they amended their system, and finally booked the car in.

So what seemed a simple process, turned out to be a bit of a fuss.

#10 ·
Got my letter yesterday, tried to book in on line with Renault.co.uk, all went well till choosing the date, no response. Tried using IE instead of Firefox and my second computer without success. Resorting to the telephone tomorrow, if I can remember how to use it:) Anyone else had the problem?

#12 ·
Hi, I got the letter too. It arrived recorded around 2 weeks ago, and we had to sign for it. About a week before the letter I had a horrible 'scraping' sound come from the back of my car. I was only doing about 10 mph as I was just about to park the car. I didn't know what the sound was and when I reversed it was still there. Then I applied the handbrake and took it off again and the sound went. Mine's a 54 scenic 1.4 expression. I am glad it didn't happen on the motorway at 70mph with my daughter in the car.
We called the local renault garage immediately after receiving the letter and after some persuasion they let me come in 3pm same day to have it done. Not had problems since.
Hope this helps..

#16 ·
I had a recall letter this morning- could be interesting as my car has displayed a "Check Parking Brake" fault for the last 18 months (and 2 MOT passes) which appeared after a flat battery. Will the software fix wipe out my fault or will Renault try and charge me a zillion quid to fix it?

I will book it in and find out...:devil:

#18 ·
My 2004 Scenic II has been beeping at me with a brake error for months now. I just thought it was a faulty sensor but the local garage (not Dealer) couldn't find a problem.

I'm really hoping this update will solve the issue as the beeping is driving me mad.

I got a recall letter last Thursday by recorded delivery. The car is with the Dealer today so i'll let you know if it fixes the problem.

#24 ·
Mine is going in Monday but they told me it was a 90minute job!

I have already had 3 text messages from dealer reminding me of the booking

My scenic was registered new as an 06 but was actually built in 04 then went on a nice holiday to Cyprus before being imported "new" to the UK by Motorpoint and they had loads of them so there may be many later cars affected as they had been bulit earlier than you would have expected:d

#26 ·
Ok I just had mine in today. Now bear in mind I have had a check brake warning light for 2 years as I had a battery fault then. So this morning dropped it off at Arnold Clark Dundee with the fault in the memory hoping they would clear the fault as part of the process as per others on here. Well 2 hours later I get a phone call they said the brake had a fault as the check brake message was on and that it needed a new unit at £600 plus vat. I told them I know about the fault as it was due to a battery fault and it should clear. They said no it is a seized cable and it needs changing. Well along with that they wanted to do the front brakes and the timing belt so a total cost of £1300. All this from a free recall?

Anyway I said no to the work I will get it done later. So on arriving at the dealership I was again told it needed a new parking brake due to a seized cable. When I said how come as it works perfectly I only have a check message which is down to the battery they said nope. Well I left it at that got my key off them and went to my car

Low abs behold I got in started it and NO message is there now!! They have cleared the existing fault and no new faults are showing and again it worked as advertised Slovene way home

So it seems they were out to sting me for £600 of work that Sid not need doing and threw in another £700 worth of brakes and timing belts to boot.

I had heard lots of bad stories of Arnold Clark in the past but never had any dealings with them but after today I will not be back as they tried to get me to agree over the phone to have the work done even though there is nothing wrong

#28 ·
no, it is all working correctly, as I had the car MOT'd not long ago, and had to change the rear discs and pads for it, and it was all tested. I have again checked them this morning, and both sides are coming on/off

But surely, if it were the case, and one side is not operation correctly, then the CHECK BRAKE message would remain on the dash, as there would be an actual fault??? since the fault has cleared, then I can assume a servicable parking brake?

#30 ·
It can be handy, being an ex Renault employee. I collected my Scenic, on Friday. The dealer, who sold it to me, didn't know anything about a recall. So I popped into Renault London East (Ilford), just now. And mine is subject to the recall. So, tomorrow, 10.30am, 2½ hour job.
Also bumped into Neal. The friendly mobile body repairer. Who had touched up, all my scratches and other mini wounds, by the time I had booked it in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.