Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem: W reg 1.6 16V Sport Alize engine appears to suffer from either lack of fuel to injectors or some kind of electronic intermittent breakdown making dangerous in traffic when I appear to lose power.
Since the problem developed I have replaced all 4 plugs, all 4 coils, air/fuel filters, and cam senor. used injector cleaner but to no avail.
My local garage cannot find the problem as the engine management system light doesn't go on so the dynostic readout does not show a fault.
The advice of the garage is "an intermittent fault is the worst fault there is so I must replace each item until the problem is sorted." Are they serious?
To date I spent at least £500 that is a lot of money. I like the scenic but I am coming to my wits end.
HELP you technical guys.
Thanks in advance
orangeman

11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the TDC Sensor the same as the Cam Sensor (thats what the garage called it) because if so Ive had one fitted?Thanks for replying to my forum in the first place though.

11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again madnoel10

Ta for last update on both types sensors. As I've had the Cam sensor replaced I'll now have the TDC Sensor replaced as soon as I can book it in.
If it's cured after that I own you a pint.
Cheers buddy. :d

11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TDC Sensor

Update to madnoel10. The cam sensor is the another word for the TDC sensor (which has been fitted to my Scenic approx 500 miles ago)
Where do I go from here? What with replacing parts I'm slowly rebuilding the engine. May have to stop there as we don't want another Scenic like this on the road.
Would be a good car if it didn't have this problem but thanks antway for the advice

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi McArdle - the cam sensor is not the same as the TDC sensor - simply put, the cam sensor monitors the camshaft position and the TDC (sometimes referred to as crankshaft position sensor) monitors the position of the crankshaft. I suggest you double check which one was fitted. The cam sensor is loctaed around the front end of the camshaft on the top of the engine whereas the TDC sensor is located about mid-way down at the transmission end of the engine and takes it readings from the flywheel.:)

11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your a star

Hi McArdle - the cam sensor is not the same as the Top Dead Centre sensor - simply put, the cam sensor monitors the camshaft position and the TDC (sometimes referred to as crankshaft position sensor) monitors the position of the crankshaft. I suggest you double check which one was fitted. The cam sensor is loctaed around the front end of the camshaft on the top of the engine whereas the TDC sensor is located about mid-way down at the transmission end of the engine and takes it readings from the flywheel.:)
My car doesn't get serviced at a Renault garage so the info given to me is not top technical stuff. I shall show this reply to my garage and find out the exact part fitted then take it from there.
Wish you worked at the local garage. The offer still stands mate in that once Scenic sorted there is a pint in it for you.
I'll keep you posted but going away for a few days so will make contact Sat 16th.
Cheers mate.:)

11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your a star

Thanks once again madnoel10 for the additional info. My garage is not a Renault garage so that's where the confusions is. Nice to have someone who knows about the faults. Will show them the last thread you sent and find out what was exactly fitted.
Wish you worked there so that I could speak to someone who is technical.
Will keep you posted and will contact you on Sat 16th as away for a few days.
When (if) problem solved still owe you that pint I promised.
Cheers:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
try this

Megane Scenic Running Problems

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought I'd share this with you as it may help someone else out in the future,and it's an easy DIY repair.

We had a customer bring in a P-reg Megane Scenic 1.6e complaining of running problems.The car had a slightly erratic idle,a hesitation on part throttle openings and a judder under acceleration.

After a few minutes of looking,we found that the hose running from the throttle body to the MAP(Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor had split.The hose was replaced and all was well.

The MAP sensor is mounted onto a bracket on the bulkhead to the right hand side if you look at it from the front.There is an electrical connector running to it and a small vaccuum hose which is an elongated S-shape which runs along the back of the engine and connects to the throttle body.If you need to replace this hose you will need special vaccuum hose of the same diameter.The walls of the pipe are very thick to help avoid the pipe collapsing under vaccuum.It should be available from most motor factors.

This may be relevant to other Renault models using a similar arrangement.

Hope this helps someone out.

11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi madnoel. Sorry I didn't get back to you as was away from home until lastnight. Went to garage this morning regards TDC only to find that the mechanic who works on my car has gone on holiday for two weeks as of today. The garage could not tell me which part had been fitted i.e. the TDC or the cam sensor. Could it be hose from the throttle body to the MAP sensor that is the problem as to the advice given from Bencapewell. Keep me posted and thanks.
Cheers.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The 16 valve engines don't have the hose between the MAP sensor and the inlet manifold,that is on the 8 vlave engines only.

I'd have the Top Dead Centre sensor changed elsewhere as the garage you go to sound a little clueless......You could even have a go yourself as there is an excellent post in the 'How To' section of the forum detailing how it's done.:)

11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Scenic has been behaving it's-self lately. I would agree the garage is not up to spec although the mechanic I deal with is getting his info from his mate who is a renault mechanic. I was there when we spoke to to the Renault mechanic who stated it appeared to be the TDC Sensor after taking along the motorway in 3rd gear (keeping the revs to 5000rpm) Immediately after that's the TDC Sensor was fitted. If it still persists in misfiring the damm Scenic goes. Pity as otherwise it's runs well with 58000 on the clock.
I was told that 16v renault engines were bullet-proof. Will be going back to japanese in the future.

11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi McArdle - has the misfire problem been solved after a new Top Dead Centre sensor was fitted.:)
Hi madnoel10
It was the TDC Sensor fitted by the mechanic so back to square 1. This was fitted a few wks ago but problem was still there.
Other day thrashed motor up motorway i.e. 70 odd miles & then steady at 70mph back home and it drove like dream.
Unfortunately never know if it will play up so definately a love-hate relationship it the car now.
Last time I touch renault with a barge pole. Pity as up to present problem it was good to drive.
Thanks for the info though but maybe time to get shut of it.
Actual mileage on it 59000 miles but had a little Honda with over 100000miles and no problems with that. Still can't beat the japanese motors I feel.
Cheers.:(

11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
madnoel10

Well the mis-firing problem finally sorted out (hopefully). It appearded to be a blocked injector and now is running as it should.
Thanks for all those other people who took the time to offer advice.
Now intend to get rid of the damm vehicle as got my eye on a Nissan Tino. Don't hear of many problems with those.
:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
help me misfiring scenic 1999

:confused: hi people as i was reading through these post it exactly describes the problems im having with my scenic changed the coil last week still the same ! looked for the map sensor cant find it ! feel such a donut !!! found the tdc and will sort that !! but its this pipe between throttle body and map sensor !!! HELP ME please !!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts