Independent Renault Forums banner

81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Sexy at 70 super duper mod..
23,625 Posts
Sorry, we couldn’t find that page
Make sure you’ve typed the URL correctly, or try searching Vimeo. You could also watch one of the videos below instead.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
(I tell you now i have sussed video url in thread with your assistance a head gasket might be possible ? a video of when I get stuck and off we go again.

steel seal properly Wednesday but thoughts on bubbling over ?

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,323 Posts
Video isn't working for me ..... when I press play I get the sound of the engine running but the screen turns black so I can't see anything. Same whether I do this on the forum or open up a new tab for the link then attempt to play the video. I am running crappy Vista though on my laptop.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Shame on the video but that must be your end client video , app setting. works on android if you have a phone ?

I attach pic of video .... if zoom in you see highly aerated water coming out in a stream. This now happens constantly when hot.

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
That's good to hear if the head gasket project happens.
Steel seal first.

It horrifies me the thought of doing it for the first time.....
Head gasket , Timing /Aux belts , Water pump at home.
All this with axel stands and a few good trolley Jacks.
(I have an extensive load of tools built up for motorcycles)
All this probably outside (will have to be done in good weather)
BUT
No time restraint.
Q)
If I went at this with my zero knowledge using your knowledge, doing full 9pm-6 days do you reckon "I" could bag this in 3-4 days ?

if that is so and the project is needed I'll give it a go.

Steel seal first this week.

·
9,323 Posts
Shame on the video but that must be your end client video , app setting. works on android if you have a phone ?

I attach pic of video .... if zoom in you see highly aerated water coming out in a stream. This now happens constantly when hot.
Still cant tell anything. On a hot engine it can take something like half an hour for the system to depressurise with the engine off. If you release the cap during this time it can cause the release of air and the coolant to rise significantly and to overflow.

·
9,323 Posts
also as it is looking like head gasket is this engine lift device any use for lifting engine up for cam belt etc ?
55£ ebay
Not seen that type before but all tools are handy bits of kit but being a cheapskate I'd go with Phils method.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Same as ... cheapskate here too. If I have to do head I will. start a new thread and use the cheapskate method.
VIDEO ISSUE:
This is one area I do know a lot about - IT.
What you can try is use another browser ?
firefox ?
chrome ?
Make sure you have updates to these browsers.

I know it works on a smartphone too.

·
9,323 Posts
It horrifies me the thought of doing it for the first time.....

No time restraint.

If I went at this with my zero knowledge using your knowledge, doing full 9pm-6 days do you reckon "I" could bag this in 3-4 days ?

if that is so and the project is needed I'll give it a go.
That is your choice. But you probably felt the dame doing your first motorbike engine too. You do have the luxury of working on it at home where and when you please. And if it all goes **** up what have you lost? Your timeframe is realistic but really it all depends on what is found once the head is removed. Is your Haynes manual a full workshop manual or a service and repair guide? Does it explain the job in full?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #93 (Edited)
Haynes manual is a service and repair manual. I didn't know you could get a workshop manual ...too.

It explains the job. It simply does not go.into enough detail for me ... but with this site I can do it.
I'll def get a workshop manual if there is one.

you are right. on motorbikes I have never failed and like them mechanically perfect down to perfectly functioning threads..... and torque. if any jobbing home mechanic had a good chance to succeed it would be me....

the head I can take to.my local.machine shop to check if needs skimming as I do with my old motorbikes.

JUST LOOKED AND ALL MY MOTORBIKE MANUALS ARE WORKSHOP MANUALS !

looks.like haynes doesn't do a paper workshop manual for mk1 scenic !
but might a online one.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
U fortunately for my car they dpnt do paper manuals just electronic. k have the service a d repair manual. the workshop manual is only electronic for.my car at 15£.
whatever of I need it I'll buy it. contacting haynes now to find out of it truly is a workshop manual on line

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
can I ask what would you guys think of a price for said works: timing and aux belt, water pump and head gasket renewal ?
(make assumption is only head gasket needed no more additional head work).

what price would it cost in a reputable garage ?

(I am just collating info in case I win jackpot or get a massive contract in work)

·
9,323 Posts
can I ask what would you guys think of a price for said works: timing and aux belt, water pump and head gasket renewal ?
(make assumption is only head gasket needed no more additional head work).

what price would it cost in a reputable garage ?

(I am just collating info in case I win jackpot or get a massive contract in work)
I thought you had a quote already? You can figure out the hardware costs yourself but don't forget to include head bolts too and gaskets for exhaust manifold etc. The main question is what is the typical book labour time/hourly rate (I don't know). And also to factor in VAT.

So you're not getting cold feet then? 👟👟

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
No quote really and absolutely I will do this myself.
I just wanna know -
-typical price for garage to do it
-time it takes to the point of getting head off ? For me to do and a garage to do ?

price for me to do it is not an issue and can be easily accommodated.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #100 (Edited)
Question:
I intend to leave water only in oven night . Is that ok ...temp meant to be 6deg tonight.
Is that ok ?

I'll drain and fill with coops t tomorrow after a test run today.

movie of water circulating .. I think.

81 - 100 of 120 Posts