Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! Just got myself a scenic mk2 1.5dci 5 seater for a family car and it's pretty good if i'm honest. Had a few gremlins as per usual for Scenics from what I've read in here, and this forum has helped solve quite a number of them! Thanks for the threads and tips!!

Anyway, on to my problem.
I've got the factory fitted front fogs but they've never worked since I got the car and apparently didn't work for previous owner either. I've checked the bulbs and they are ok, I've multi'd the plug and getting no power, fuse is good and when you switch the lights on with the stalk you get the icon on the center dash which leads me to think that the relay has gone. Unfortunately I can't find the relay or even how to get to it! it's driving me bonkers now.. can anyone enlighten me as to its location and how to get to it please??

The only other real bug I've got is the dreaded "Check Parking Break" error which I think is to do with the fact that I need to replace all 4 disks and pads and then reset the parking break again.. it works and goes on and releases perfectly with no grinding sounds etc, and the handle module is fine inside so I'm hoping that a brake swap clears the error.

So, TL:DR verson, I need to find where the relay is for the front fogs and find a way to replace it please :)

Jonno

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
40,477 Posts
Which two fuses have you checked, there is one inside the car, ( glove box area )
and one in the under bonnet fuse box

·
Premium Member
6,830 Posts
Hi

re the front fogs

A lot of people remove the front bumper to replace the headlight bulbs, to remove the bumper there is a connector behind the front section of the wheel arch liner, this plug has to be disconnected to remove the bumper & often gets neglected to be re connected when refitting the front bumper.
Have a quick look to see if this is the case before condemning the rest of the electrics.

Al

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which two fuses have you checked, there is one inside the car, ( glove box area )
and one in the under bonnet fuse box
I've checked all the fuses in the glovebox and under the bonnet, including those that are nothing to do with the fogs. The rear fog works perfectly though which also makes me think it's a relay.

A lot of people remove the front bumper to replace the headlight bulbs, to remove the bumper there is a connector behind the front section of the wheel arch liner, this plug has to be disconnected to remove the bumper & often gets neglected to be re connected when refitting the front bumper.
Have a quick look to see if this is the case before condemning the rest of the electrics.
I'll have a look before I lose light tonight and see, is that a connector between the bulb connector and the loom?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is no relay,,
Is that like the sense that there is no spoon? I've checked the connectors in the chain and they are all ok, the fuses are all ok but there's no power to the plug at all. I have continuity on the negative rail just no voltage at all on the positive.
On a side note, I also found that the AC pump was disconnected... would explain why it wasn't working.. plugged it back in and the sensor and voila, cold(ish) air. she's booked in for a regas soon anyways so it'll stay off till they've looked it over.

I don't suppose there's anyone near to the Lowestoft area that works on these monsters that I could meet up with at some point and pick their brains? or someone that won't mind an inbox or two?

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
40,477 Posts
break it down into stages,, you have two bulbs each with two wires, one wire from each bulb goes to earth, the other wire goes to a connector, this connector goes to the fuse box.... Trace your circuits back, You should find the connection box, under the passengers side of the car, behind the bumper this connector is in two halves, one to the lights one from the fusebox..
Check the wiring from the connector to the bulbs, if good, check the wiring from the fuse box.. You have power going to the instrument cluster because the light is on, so your switch is working..

·
Premium Member
6,830 Posts
I've checked all the fuses in the glovebox and under the bonnet, including those that are nothing to do with the fogs. The rear fog works perfectly though which also makes me think it's a relay.

I'll have a look before I lose light tonight and see, is that a connector between the bulb connector and the loom?

its an actual join in the loom, (a yellow one if IRC) between the bumper section and the body tub

Al

1 - 8 of 8 Posts