Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Scenic mk3 2011 for a week now. Got tomtom, but dealer "didn't know" there should be a remote controller to control it.
As I understand from RTFM there are two ways to control it - the remote controller or the knob fitted to the armrest.
The car lacks both of them, there is only the floor level storage.
Yesterday I was cleaning the car and lifted the rubber, and can't see any additional wiring.
Did anybody retrofitted the knob, where to look for the wiring/socket, or is there a way to reproduce it if not fitted?

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
Hi,
I'd go back to the dealer and insist they supply the remote (or replacement). It's like supplying a car without an engine.

AFAIK the two tom tom systems are different, the remote version will have infra red sensor, the other will have wiring
connections for the center knob control system. Its not just a case of adding the other controller.

Perhaps someone else here with more knowledge on this subject will confirm or provide you with an alternative to my theory's.

Al

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If infrared then somewhere must be the receiver. Any whereabouts?
Pricing of those IR controllers is about £70, so I would rather opt for retrofitting the armrest, I can't live without it, especially when we do long journeys.
If it takes replacing the satnav unit, I guess that's the radio unit as well as a full set, right?

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
hi

the radios are coded to the car's computer system, so a replacement would need the car re programmed to accept the replacement.

since my earlier post I've done some research for you.

The remote is not IR but Bluetooth connected, so a replacement remote would just need pairing to your system.
The instructions are on the tom tom web site. link below.

hope this helps

Al

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the remote is bluetooth, but I am more interested in the knob version.
When looking at the pictures available on the internet, the armrests contain a multi-pin socket. Am unable to find any info how it is connected.

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
"When looking at the pictures available on the internet, the armrests contain a multi-pin socket. Am unable to find any info how it is connected."

I also drew a blank when trying to find that out too.

Al.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I've found it how it is connected. Seems like not every pin is used, 8 out of 12, in reality 6. Should be 2 to power +/-, 1 to something called "switching protection unit" (another power?) and 3 connected to the radio.
I will have to disassemble some things to see what's under the console.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Solution appears to be very simple - remove the tray between the front seats, and look under the carpet - the wiring loom is there.

IMG_20200702_153256.jpg

Now it is just matter of buying the armrest and the knob, and maybe playing with DDT. Sorted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts