Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there. I am now the new owner of a 2010 grand scenic, coming from a VW sharan which had nothing but problems would you believe!

Anyway, I have always had a soft spot for scenics, having had the mk2 several years ago, so decided to have a go with the mk3. I bought it with the 'check parking brake' service light lit, despite the parking brake being fully functional. It didn't phase me as I assumed it may have been the same as the mk2 when the battery had gotten flat, and it has had new rear pads in the last year.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the mk3 parking brake system as the info on here seems far thinner on it than the mk2. Any way of getting the light cleared and diagnosed cheaply and easily? Its starting to bug me now, isnt as easy to ignore as the previous version as that orange spanner light is blinding at night time!

I have ddt2000 and a vag kkl cable but am i right in thinking that my car is too new for it being can-bus? Anyone in the norfolk area with a can-clip? Like i say the parking brake is fully functional but the light permanantly on, have tried putting key in, manually applying and releasing a couple of times to reset to no avail. Any help greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
8,602 Posts
Does anyone have any knowledge of the mk3 parking brake system as the info on here seems far thinner on it than the mk2.
The main difference is that in mk3 electronic parking brake (EPB) is fully electric. At the rear hubs there are servos (one each side) that engage breaking pads while EPB is on & retract them when off. Don't know much more about it, but the error might be caused by changing rear brake pads without adapting the EPB properly afterwards.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for quick reply. I have swatted up on how the system works on the mk3, and it could be a possibility I guess, but it is engaging and disengaging fine? Whether all the ecus and sensors think the same is another matter and I guess the only way im going to find out is getting it scanned or reset somehow? I remember on the mk2s there was a procedure for holding the start button down for a short while to allow the electronics to sort themselves out but I don't know if that applies to the mk3?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone have any info if they have got ddt2000 to work with the mk3? Failing that is there anybody on here local to Norfolk with a can-clip or similar device who would be willing to scan it? Many thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,569 Posts
Does anyone have any info if they have got ddt2000 to work with the mk3? Failing that is there anybody on here local to Norfolk with a can-clip or similar device who would be willing to scan it? Many thanks
Don't think it will. Even if you do connect, the software won't be there. Similar issues here, only finds two things on my 2010 Trafic.
Someone local to you may pop up. Otherwise, it's find a friendly local indy, who is Renault Sympathetic.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Can't message you! your message are full ! (delete some) I have the icarsoft 907 and MAY be able to help as Norwich

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello! Yes I have just realised I have a max limit of 3 messages for my inbox. I have now deleted them. Thank you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many thanks to Nexxusone, the little box of tricks worked a treat on the mk3. Im assuming the handbrake ECU had reached its limit of stored codes and just decided to flash and beep at me when I opened the door when parked, despite being fully functional. I can only assume the previous owner upset it when changing the rear pads? Anyway cleared the codes, spanner and "check parking brake" gone, and managed to stay gone on several drives out today so im happy! Fingers crossed it stays this way. Top man.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Many thanks to Nexxusone, the little box of tricks worked a treat on the mk3. Im assuming the handbrake ECU had reached its limit of stored codes and just decided to flash and beep at me when I opened the door when parked, despite being fully functional. I can only assume the previous owner upset it when changing the rear pads? Anyway cleared the codes, spanner and "check parking brake" gone, and managed to stay gone on several drives out today so im happy! Fingers crossed it stays this way. Top man.
Happy to help - Saves the Hassle and cost of a dealership visit - plus really was a 5 min job! For Info of others I used the icarsoft 907 (renault/dacia) - this has now been superseded by the icarsoft RT II (think of as 907 version 2)

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Just checking in and hoping it's still working ok?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The main difference is that in mk3 electronic parking brake (EPB) is fully electric. At the rear hubs there are servos (one each side) that engage breaking pads while EPB is on & retract them when off. Don't know much more about it, but the error might be caused by changing rear brake pads without adapting the EPB properly afterwards.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also have a mark 3 2012 scenic the display on the dashboard is spanner and check handbrake which is very annoying I have a car soft OBD reader which clears the fault but after driving maybe an hour and using the handbrake the fault reappears I just cannot seem to get rid of it that bright orange light at night is quite blinding and annoying as you can all imagine
Can anybody help with this problem I have changed the brake fluid cost of the age of it it is hard rear pads brand new
Everything regarding the handbrake works absolutely totally fine I don't understand why this problem is still here please please could anybody help thank you for your time Dave

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
what are the faults from the scanner before you clear them?

·
Registered
8 Posts
My OBD2 OBD reader says no faults when I go to DTC to read false there is none but when I go to clear the dtcs I a false it clears it and stays off for roughly an hour but does come back on once you use the handbrake it is very hard I have done a full scan and it always shows no faults whatsoever
yesterday I changed the brake fluid because it was looking rather dark and now it is totally clear hoping this will clear the fault but still to no avail I plug my scanner back in still no faults but clears the false when I ask it to but within half an hour of driving today it keeps saying check handbrake and the spanner light illuminating it is very hard I don't understand why has a handbrake works perfectly fine
Thank you for getting back to me most helpful

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
what make of scanner are you using?

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
All i can suggest is a manual scan specific to EPB and not automatic scan, have owned both the icarsoft 907 and the icarsoft FR v2.0 i have had used on my 3 scenics (05 55 08 years) with no problems.... also when fault light comes on - do not turn engine off - leave running, park up and connect and scan, you can scan when running - just not clear faults - faults only can be cleared with ignition on (engine NOT running)

turning ignition off will clear any non permanent faults (like a pc reset )

1 - 20 of 25 Posts