Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, This is my first post on this forum. I've searched before posting so I hope someone out there can help. I have a low mileage (23500) 2001 1.6 petrol Scenic (man. box), the other day I pulled of a car park 1st gear changed to 2nd and no drive, engine just revved, at first I thought I'd selected neutral. I can get all gears, the drive shafts appear OK but the clutch cable is loose, not broken, and still attached to the pedal and appears to operate normally. It's as if the clutch is permanently disengaged. Has anyone any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Hi glyned

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you could have a problem with the differential.

Can you go through all the gears without the car moving and no crunching sound as you engage them ?

Also to help the more mechanical members of the forum does the speedometer show the speed even though car is not moving?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.:)

Can you select the gears without putting your foot on the clutch?.

Are there any strange noises when operating the clutch or when selecting gear?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies. There was no noise when it happened and you can get all forward gears (have not tried reverse) without any noise or by depressing the clutch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to add a few observations, the clutch cable can be unclipped from the lever easily (no tension) this is reflected in initial free clutch pedal movement before normal resistance is felt. The surface was loose and on moving off there was initial wheel spin in 1st gear which had stopped before changing up to 2nd - then no drive!

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
If you can put the car in gear with the engine running without operating the clutch,then either the clutch has broken up,the flywheel has broken(although I don't think your car would have a dual mass flywheel???),or the input shaft in the gearbox has broken.

The free play on the clutch lever would suggest the clutch is at fault.:(

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Whot! No Drive

Sounds like a clutch problem - something has gone Wang very quickly - this would put me in mind of a broken diaphram spring in the clutch cover assembly or the centre has broken out of the drive plate although the loose clutch cable would make me think it's the spring in the cover assembly.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks lagdti, madnoel10 I had almost convinced myself it was a clutch problem. It's just that there was no noise, not a whisper when it failed that seems unusual to me! My thought was the release bearing jammed on the shaft, but whatever it's looks like gearbox out and deep pockets and worse of all a lot fewer pints at the local for some time to come. Thanks again and whot a wonderful forum.

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
Exactly the same happened to me in a Scorpio, no noise no jerk just complete lack of drive, one of the drive shafts had failed. You could check this first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts