Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anybody help,my scenic has died on me,a few people have said that it may be the cambelt.:(

it turns over but wont start,however if you put your foot to the floor then it will start but sounds and runs terrible and then dies,it sounds like a very loud knocking noise and the whole engine will move on its mounts.

help!!!!!

R

·
0 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Doesn't sound like a cam belt problem to me? Sounds more like you have some kind of bearing failure problems? Is the oil light stopping on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no,the oil light has never come on at all.the only light that has come on the auto light occasionally but ive heard this is common,if you turn off and on its fine,the noise itself is coming i think from the top end of the engine,and sounds horrific,like a metal upon metal loud noise,almost like there is no oil in it

R

·
0 Posts
Difficult to say with out listening to it?

Though maybe might be worth removing the auxilliary belt and see what state the power steering pump, alternator and tensioner bearings feel like? doubt it be the water pump as that's at the bottom of the engine. Migh be worth trying to run the engine without the auxilliay belt on to see if the noise remains?

You might then need the cylinder head cover lifting off to see what state the cam shafts are in?

I assume we are talking about a 1999 t0 2003 2.0 16 valve F4R engine?

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
1,682 Posts
I think it is the valves chattering away on the pistons, I had this problem. Don't turn it over any more, check the cam belt and timing, even if the belt is OK, the cam pulley may have slipped on its poor key, see photo. I got away with a new belt and pulley. Best.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts