Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a scenic privelage plus (03 reg) 1.8. I have had a problem for the last two months now with my battery draining overnight.

My mechanic checked the car and said the batttery was basically shot so I replaced it (expensively) and the next day the car was flat again, he came out again and checked the alternator which was fine (was re-conditioned 5 months ago) and once again said the battery was reading as faulty so he changed it for me and low and behold the next day it was flat again so I exchanged the battery myself and still the same problem. I have had it into an auto electrician on 3 occasions now who say there is 100% no drain and told me it was the battery so one last time I exchanged it and got them to check the health and charge of the battery before I left which was fine and alas the next morning it was flat again. My auto electrician will now not look at my car again until I have taken the neg off the battery overnight for a couple of nights and to see if it starts the next day which I am about to do tonight.

I do have a small battery charger which when fitted and charged the car will start after only half an hour charge but if I stop and turn the car off it's completely flat again. I have checked all interior lights are not on and turned my fan/radio/cd player off just to make sure but still the same.

I am at my wits end with the car now and seriously out of pocket as the auto electricians want paying everytime it goes in even without a conclusion (which I understand). On the odd occasion it will start twice in a day but it's pot luck so I'm not using the car at the moment. It normally takes overnight to go flat but sometimes it can be in the space of ten mins. :confused:

Any tips or advice would be gratefully received :d

Thanks

Shirley

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Therre is no such thing as a 100% no voltage drain. There will always be a little (usually aroind 6 milliamps or so) - just enough to maintain the memory of the radio and other electronics. If you knew what the figures were read by the auto-spark then it may be possible to guess what may be amiss.

Tracing parasitic voltage drains can be time consuming and you need to start disconnecting fuses and electrical componets to try and narrow down the possibilities. Assuming the battery is fully charged and disconnecting it between switch-off and start-up would prove if it was a battery problem or the fault lies elsewhere.
If it were mine I would start by checking the alternator and the dephaser solenoid if the engine is the VVTi type.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Therre is no such thing as a 100% no voltage drain. There will always be a little (usually aroind 6 milliamps or so) - just enough to maintain the memory of the radio and other electronics. If you knew what the figures were read by the auto-spark then it may be possible to guess what may be amiss.

Tracing parasitic voltage drains can be time consuming and you need to start disconnecting fuses and electrical componets to try and narrow down the possibilities. Assuming the battery is fully charged and disconnecting it between switch-off and start-up would prove if it was a battery problem or the fault lies elsewhere.
If it were mine I would start by checking the alternator and the dephaser solenoid if the engine is the VVTi type.:)
Thanks for your reply. The auto-electricians have guaranteed me it's not the alternator and showed me the green light when testing it to prove this and unfortunately I do not have the figures from their previous tests but surely they would be able to tell me something from their results if something were wrong ???

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Take it to another auto-spark - looks like he ain't using the correct test equipment. The correct equipment should be capable of giving exact voltage, ampage, and resistor values in figures not just a green light which only likely to be an estimate at best.

To check for a parasitic drain you need to take an ampere reading between the disconnected postive terminal lead and the positve terminal of the battery. This reading should be in the milli-amp range.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Shirl, this is the first time I've joined the forum so I haven't a clue what I'm doing. BUT, I had a similar problem last year with my 2007 Scenic Dynamique 2.0 dCi Auto and it was found, after the AA had got me started on the drive 3 times, to be a faulty diode or capacitor in the radio. So when I thought the radio was of, this fault was causing the battery to drain all night. My local Renault dealer knew of this fault (Renault must have an internal database of faults for use by dealers) and replaced the radio free of charge because the car was still within the 3 year warranty period. Try withdrawing the radio fuse, recharge the battery and see how it goes. robmccaig

·
Registered
2 Posts
You may find that if you remove the radio fuse, then recharge the battery, the battery will hold it's charge indicating a fault in the radio, which, although appearing to be off, has a fault with a diode (I think it is), a fault known to Renault service garages.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Rob,

That sounds very promising, thanks for taking the time to reply. I will give it a go tomorrow and keep you posted.

Thanks again :d

R

·
0 Posts
Is your car a Scenic II as 03 was the change over year or is it a MK1 Phase 2 Scenic which was phased out in 03.

There is a problem with some ot the Scenic II models which have VVT and the dreaded dephaser pulley. The ECU doesn't always turn off the feed to the dephaser solenoid and this flattens the battery. It an be sorted out by an ECU software upgrade.

Though I'm not sure that VVT was fitted to all 1.8 16v F4P engines?

If you do have VVT fitted you could always try unpluging the dephaser solenoid at the side of the oil filler point over night and see if the battery then remains charged,

·
Registered
11 Posts
i had a similar problem,can you tell me when you take the card out and lock car does the radio/fan heater stay on,if it does i know the problem

1 - 10 of 10 Posts