Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Renault Scenic Expression 1.6 - 24000 miles purchased 4 weeks ago and has been back 3 times already - booked in again next week for brakes and exhaust to be repaired

Checked my lights before setting off on a long night journey and found the nearside rear fog light wasn't working. I took the rear light off and changed the bulb with a known good one and it still didn't work. I checked the wiring and it is wired ok. Offside rear fog light is working ok so it seems the switch is not the problem.
Went to Renault dealer today to report other problems I had (rear brakes, engine hesitation, exhaust box blown etc etc.) and they said that the UK model doesn't have the nearside rear foglight connected as the law says that only one is needed.
Would Renault really go to the trouble of disabling the nearside rear foglight for the UK market ? - I can't believe they would !
If anyone has a Scenic II, could they please check if both the rear foglights are working and let me know please - I can then add it to the list of things to be fixed.
Many thanks to anyone who can help me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I noticed this on my 2006 Grand Scenic only this weekend. The fog light on the passenger side rear cluster actually has a bulb in it as well (guess its useful as a spare for the other working side!).

Was going to query this, but my last car only seemed to have one fog light anyway.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Many manufacturers do this for cars in this country as there is only a legal requirement for an offside rear foglight.If both foglights are used,then there is a possiblity that people following might mistaken them for brake lights.....:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,I'm new to this site as I've just purchased our second hand Renault grand scenic 55 reg.
I too couldn't work out why my passenger rear fog lamp wouldn't work until I came to this site and read this page. My last car (Astra 02 reg) had 2 fog lights, I'm the type of person that has to have everything working correct incl lights. To me it looks bad when you have 2 fog lights and only one works, I see it as you haven't bothered checking your car over, and I know there's times where your bulbs blow same day can't be helped. Anyway knowing now that Renault have not wired them up due to being in the uk, I had to sort this!
Today I got it working by simply running a wire inside the interior body work of the back of the car all the way to the other light (basically bridge it) all works fine tested other lights were working ok with the fogs and all was fine.
Now I'm happy it looks right lol!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any chance you could post a description of how you bridged the lights, gauge of wire etc. I'm having the same brain ache knowing all is there other than a wire stopping this working. Thanks

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,453 Posts
Is it supposed to have one, the wire goes from the working fog light circuit.
This is then put into the terminal on your cluster where the wire is missing in the multi plug
So one side will have 5 wires, the other side 4, you need to find which one is fog, and put it on the fog the other side,,

·
Registered
5 Posts
2004 Renault Scenic Expression 1.6 - 24000 miles purchased 4 weeks ago and has been back 3 times already - booked in again next week for brakes and exhaust to be repaired

Checked my lights before setting off on a long night journey and found the nearside rear fog light wasn't working. I took the rear light off and changed the bulb with a known good one and it still didn't work. I checked the wiring and it is wired ok. Offside rear fog light is working ok so it seems the switch is not the problem.
Went to Renault dealer today to report other problems I had (rear brakes, engine hesitation, exhaust box blown etc etc.) and they said that the UK model doesn't have the nearside rear foglight connected as the law says that only one is needed.
Would Renault really go to the trouble of disabling the nearside rear foglight for the UK market ? - I can't believe they would !
If anyone has a Scenic II, could they please check if both the rear foglights are working and let me know please - I can then add it to the list of things to be fixed.
Many thanks to anyone who can help me.
Just checked my near side rear fog light not working.As you say its not used in the uk on my grand scenic 2006.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts