Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Joined the forum hoping someone can help. :cool: I have read other threads about Scenic leaky sunroofs but they seem to have been solved by unblocking drainage pipes. I have tried this but the rear sunroof is still leaking, it seems to be getting the other side of the drainage channel, but when pouring water down the drainage channel with sunroof open, it is not leaking. I have spent hours trying to solve the problem and have taken off the side panels and pulled the roof lining down at the back but have still not solved it. Got to the point when I am thinking of getting rid of it. Help. :steam:

·
Registered
30 Posts
leaking sunroof

Hi
This is probably too simple to work, but i had the same problem on a 98 scenic RXE Monaco, and cleaning the drainage did nothing to help. The problem was leakage through the rubber/ textured surround, which had perished in the sun. Liberal spraying of a vinyl/rubber protector(Halfords own brand) on the surround cured the problem.

Cheap, and worth a try (I had a quote for £400+ for dealing with the sunroof from a dealer).

·
Registered
4 Posts
My last car was a scenic and I discovered the front sunroof leaked the first time it was parked overnight in heavy rain,in the morning when i pulled away the water poured into the car thro the roof controls ,I spoke to a mate who has a body shop and we opened the sunroof ,in the side channels just back from the drain holes is a rivetted joint,we smeared a thin layer of mastic on these ,we also smeared the entire edge strip of the glass in a thin layer of vaseline (i am presuming yours is the same type of sunroof) the edge strip was a sort of felt material and I did'nt have anymore problems and as you can see I live in the highlands so it got well tested!!!,anyway its worth a go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Corny...........Did you sort this? I have an RX4 with exactly the same thing. Its not that bad but still annoying.

I have redone the ariel with sealant

checked the down pipes ect from the sunroof

Re run the down pipes to remove the kink.......which require shortening it)

If you sorted it what was it? This weather is starting to **** me off. :(

Thanks

SM

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi SM
Tried all sorts to fix the problem, just seemed to make it worse. I took off the interior roof lining and could see the water coming in, it was so bad I had to put a container in the boot to catch it all! It also came down at the front and occasionally by the sunroof electrics which I now wonder if it was just a build up of water from the front. Only suggestion I didn't try was lowering the sunroof frame and re-sealing it as I wasn't sure of what I was doing and worried I might make it worse and I wasn't prepared to pay a garage a vast amount of money to do it. So instead I have taken the drastic action of sealing both sunroofs on the outside with silicone and it hasn't leaked a drop since. Obviously can't use them anymore but ok providing the aircon works - there are always the windows!!!!!
Good luck, let me know how you get on.
Corny

1 - 7 of 7 Posts