Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm desperately trying to find a bike rack that will mount to the rear spare-wheel of a 2003 Scenic RX4. Most that I've found explicitly say they won't - mainly because the wheel isn't fully exposed so it's not possible to mount the metal bar behind the wheel.

Has anyone cracked this? I did see an old post somewhere from 2007 from someone who said they'd managed with a rack from Halfords, but I think they maybe don't do this any more.

Can anyone advise, preferably with brands, models, etc.

Thanks,

Karl

·
Banned
560 Posts
Do you have a towbar, if not get one fitted and buy a Thule 9503 towbar rack. Nothing better out there and more sturdy that any tyre mounted rack.

I've used them all, boot mount, tyre mounted, still got one in the shed, but the Thule one is best.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem with that (I assume) is that the whole thing needs taking off just to open the rear door.

I have considered it, but event back to looking for a wheel-mounted solution because of this.

Karl

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...but presumably only after removing the bikes first. I mean, grabbing something from the boot will only be possible from the top, glass flap and opening the boot properly means taking the bikes off.

·
Banned
560 Posts
The bikes stay on. It could be heavy depending on the bikes you have, but no point in having a tilting design if you have to remove the bikes.:d

·
Banned
560 Posts
With all this lovely weather, I'm sat on the PC looking at Renaultforums. What a plonker.:d

The Thule website should give you more information.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hope you've got out on your bike by now with all this lovely weather!

Tell me - do you also have an RX4? Issue there is that it's a side-opening door, so needs clearance all the way around. If I were to get a tilting rack that holds 4 bikes, I don't think I'd get that clearance with all the bikes on.

If it tilted SIDEWAYS, it might work better because it would tilt the same way the door opens.

·
Banned
560 Posts
Not got an RX4, but it was fitted to a Vitara with a side opening door.
Even with a spare wheel mounted rack it would not be wise to open the door with it in place. The weight of the bikes is considerable when they are all pulling on a couple of hinges and it's unikely that you would be able to open the door much if the bikes are adult ones, which are wider than most cars. As the door opens, the bikes will hit the rear quarter.

Depending on the clearence needed when your door is open and the times that you will in fact need to the rear door at all, you'd need to make that decision, but a towbar mounted rack is my choice everytime.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts