Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a really lazy question but does anybody know what size the original (non locking) wheel nuts on a 98S 1.6 scenic with 15inch wheels are cos i have got to buy a wheel wrench and i want to make sure i get one that fits aldi have got an extendable wrench in for £1.99 but it only fits 15 and 17 inch nuts

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
For a little bit more money, I think about £6.99, Draper do a telescopic wheel wrench with four different size sockets and they are very well made, available from any decent car accessory shop.
Regards Leroy

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Wheely lazy

Hi Brett - looks like you are determined to buy the cheap one - in my book there is no such thing as good quality cheap tools - just hope you don't find out some dirty wet night on the motorway. But as far as I rememember they are usually 17-19mm. If your going to buy this one why just not take the car to the shop and see if it fits (easy but you'll need to get up from your computer to find out):d

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
have you ever been to aldi or lidl because if you haven't i suggest you should go NOW. Yes the products are cheap but they are on special offer so to buy it from anywhere else would cost you 3 or 4 times more and the products are all high quality. Just remember that on the day of the specials you want to get to the shop 45 mins before it opens so you can get in front of all the other people waiting to rush in and spend there money and the reason i am asking the question is because i have got wheel trims on that are tie wraped up and i don't have any left + they are a pain to do

Take a look at the web sites the links are below i think you will be suprised

ALDI UK: Offers, business hours, wine, realty, career
http://www.lidl.co.uk

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Wheely nuts

Hi Bigbrett You working for Aldi or got all your money invested with them - been there done that Aldi- Lydil thing. If you think their tools are of good quality it's maybe you have never seen good quality before. I have tried their products and wasn't impressed in the slightest. Look good but they just don't last. My wife bought me a pair of wire cutters recently (from Lydil) - cut four bits of light electrical cable and now they wouldn't cut butter. In fact when I vectored in the travel costs at 50p per mile they weren't cheap. I am not saying you should buy really good quality tools which are expensive but go for the decent branded - believe me it will be much cheaper in the long run. You say you have your wheel covers secured by cable ties - not a bad idea. I can buy quality cable-ties from a local electrical wholesale - at £2-25 for a pack of 100. If you are having difficulty fitting the ties you ain't doing it the right way - it's dead easy when you know how.:d

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you must of got a bad set then because i have bought loads of stuff from there from tools to electrical stuff to cycle stuff and they have all been super quality. Now stuff i have bought from other retailers that say they are quality tools and industrial tools all seem to be crap. I also think you need to look at your sums if your car is doing 50p a mile there is something wrong there and as for the cable ties i know how cheap they are and yes it easy to do them if you are able bodied but try doing them when you have only got 1 leg that works then it becomes so much harder to do things that are low down but all in all i only wanted to know what size they are not get into an arguement about how good tools are and as i don't think i will be using it very often it doesn't justify paying anymore than £1.99 and petrol for a 3 mile journey that i making anyway does it.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Good points , from both of you.
You get what you pay for. Yes you probably can buy better quality tools for a bit more.
But, for ocassional use there is a good argument for buying cheaper. But you obviously don't want to go too cheap that the tool is useless or dangerous.
As long as you look at the cost,quality and what you want to do, then it's up to you how much you are willing to spend and whether it warrants a lot of money spending or not.
I bought a cheap angle grinder, had it 4 yrs used it once, did the job, end of story, still got it if I need it again. It cost £10 including metal and stone cutting discs!
My electric hammer drill is a Bosch Heavy duty one ( not the normal Bosch ones you can buy from DIY places, only from "Trade") - at the time I was using it daily,drilling masonry etc - it is now 13yrs old and going strong, still gets a reasonable amount of use - put in over 1500 screws when I built my deck last summer!
If I only wanted to put up the odd shelf, then a cheap one would be fine.

Sorry - I don't know the size of the wheel nuts!

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Big bad Tools Eh!

Hi Brett didn’t know you had a bad leg – sorry about that. I see your point about quality when it comes to tools but I think you’ve hit it on the head when you said you’ve bought from other retailers – I don’t buy from retailers – I go straight to the trade – most traders are very welcoming - like everything else in life you pays your money and takes the chance. When it comes to calculating running costs of a car it appears you have left out some vital factors, like depreciation, tax. Insurance, repairs maintenance (need I go on), etc. If you don’t believe me ask the AA who monitor costs on a very close basis. Just a wee tip to help you with your cable ties – hold the end of the tie between thumb and finger and give it a sharp bend – repeat this 7-8 times over its first 4-5 inches and the tie will form a curve –this way the tie can be passed through the cover and corresponding holes in the wheel – buckle it up and trim using a pair of snips (I won’t lend you my Lidil ones as they’re useless).:)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Cheap versus quality tools

Hi Sporttourer - see your point - and in my experience sometimes it takes very little extra cost to buy something much better. The only thing about cheap tools is their reliability and to be honest I wouldn't like to be caught out on a dirty wet night with a wheelbrace that could fail. And if you're not a member of a motoring organisation and called out help -it would cost £100+ probably. No I still won't be buying a cheap wheelbrace - thank you all the same. Come to think of it a wheelbrace at a tenner would be very cost effective.:)

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Hi Sporttourer - see your point - and in my experience sometimes it takes very little extra cost to buy something much better. The only thing about cheap tools is their reliability and to be honest I wouldn't like to be caught out on a dirty wet night with a wheelbrace that could fail. And if you're not a member of a motoring organisation and called out help -it would cost £100+ probably. No I still won't be buying a cheap wheelbrace - thank you all the same. Come to think of it a wheelbrace at a tenner would be very cost effective.:)
No - I don't think I would either. It was just a generalisation. That is why I put in the safety bit, I wouldn't save a few quid if it meant safety were compromised, I would probably spend slightly more than normal if I thought it warranted it.

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
Brought the OH an extendable brace with 2 heads when she got her 1st car about 15 years ago. It was from Halfords I think and I cant remember the price, but not much, it's still going strong and I've used it for all sorts not just the intended purpose. Having said that things like cutters, if being used a lot, are always worth getting better quality ones as they go blunt so quick.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Quality tools

Yeh Chris you've had your moneys worth. I bought mine from a local tool store about 15 years ago and it cost me about £7-00 then. I've used it for many other applications - even killed a passing mouse one day as it tried to scuttle away. :d I agree with what you say about cutters but the pair the wife bought me out of Lydls were useless after only four cuts of lightweight cable. I've nailed them to the wall of my garage as a reminder never to skimp on tools. I always feel money invested in good tools is well worth it cos look at the money you save by being able to do your own work. My old man used to say "Buy cheap and you'll end up paying twice" A couple of hundred of quid invested in tools will ultimately save you thousands.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts