Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Please can anyone help...

Have just bought a 1999 1.9 RXE Scenic and since 2002 it's had a problem with the power steering.. well more a horrible squeel/screach noise when you put the steering on full lock.
Renault garages have not found the fault.
I have only had the car for a couple of days and as long as you don't put the steering on full lock I can live with it but would like to know what it could be.. don't want the power steering to fail or anything...

Any suggestions would be great or if someone else has had the same problems would be good to hear how they resolved it.

Many thanks
:)

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi i do not wish to up set you is the oil level low or over filled and does the oil smell burnt at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well this has been going on for years now as it's been mentioned on old service notes and so on. I could check the oil like.. Am I being silly as to ask what the Oil has to do with steering? :-|

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
Theres oil in the powered steering pump to drive the steering. Some of the newer power steerings are electrical yours may be belt driven like mine. I had adjusted the belt tensions recently and that may have been what stopped it but I'm not sure. Mine happened from when I got the car 2 years ago and I assumed it was a feature of power steering as my others had been manual.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts