Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a Scenic 2001 automatic and want to replace the TDC sensor.

Because the wire loom has changed shape I need to cut the original wires and attach to the new ones.

The problem is the new sensor wire loom has wires which are pink and yellow, and the original TDC sensor wires are brown and green.

Do I connect pink to brown or pink to green?

Or does it not matter?

Thanks
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I have just checked on a Scenic which has had a replacement TDC sensor.

New sensor Pink to existing Green

New sensor Yellow to existing Brown

HTH
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have just checked on a Scenic which has had a replacement TDC sensor.

New sensor Pink to existing Green

New sensor Yellow to existing Brown

HTH
Thanks for that.

The wire loom comes with 2 plastic tubes with what looks like solder rings in each. Am I correct that I place each wire end into the tube and then heat the ring with a solder gun?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Just done one of these on my van! The rings are to be crimped the heated with heat gun to shrink them, the old plug will be labled 1 and 2 on it, note what colours and match to the new plug 1 and 2 :) took me about 10 mins in all to do
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

I finally got round to replacing the TDC Sensor and wire loom, and confirm the following:

a) There are markings on the back of the wire looms for each wire as A and B.
b) The A wire on the old loom is Brown and on the new loom is Yellow.
c) The B wire on the old loom is Green and on the old loom is Pink.
d) The new wire loom came with 2 wire solder joiners. There is a you tube video on how to use these at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhP_LWVLPLU

Note the wire joiners are quite clever - the heat gun melts the solder over the wires perfectly and also melts the plastic rings over the wire insulation to securely seal the join.

The method I used was:

1) Disconnect the earth lead from the battery.
2) Remove the air cleaner inlet casing (to make room).
3) Disconnect the coolant temperature sensor wire loom (to make room).
4) Remove the 2 bolts securing the old TDC Sensor.
5) Cut the wires as close as possible to the old TDC wire loom.
6) Strip some insulation from the ends of the old wires.
7) Strip some insulation from the ends of the new wires and place the wire joiners on.
8) Connect the wires of 6) and 7) above by twisting.
9) Move the wire joiner over the join and heat with a heat gun.
10) Cover the wires with corrugated plastic tubing (for protection).
11) Connect the new TDC sensor to the new wire loom.
12) Screw on the new TDC sensor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Not sure - but I would think it sits above the flywheel on both.
Found it located a bit further down behind a lot of pipes, a slightly different design as there are 2 fixed supporting pins on bracket. Cleaned and replaced, seems to have helped.
Thanks Tristan
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top