Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks Like I Need A Water Pump On My W Reg 1.6 Scenic , I Had A Timing Belt Kit Put On About 18 Months Ago But Did Not Think To Have Water Pump Replaced . It Cost Me £400 At Our Local Garage They Had The Car Back Twice So Dont Want To Take It There Again . Going To Have Ago Myself Having Done Lots In The Past . Has Anybody Any Tips Or Recomendations
Thanks Russbus

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
I'm presuming that this is a 1.6 16v eninge (K4M). In which case the pump is easy to change, but

1: you need the correct tools to lock the engine before starting.

2: you MUST fit a new cambelt "kit" that includes the pulleys/tensioner.

DO NOT refit the old cambelt or your asking for trouble..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I had the timing belt change a six months ago, then water started to leak about three months ago. I had the core plug replaced but still leaking. My mechanic says now the water pump needs replaced. I am having the fan belt replaced at the same time.

What else should I get done now that it is getting worked on?

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
When replacing the water pump - it is recommended the timing belt be replaced because if the bearing onthe pump has worn it can cause undue wear to the belt- also consider changing the auxiuliary belt when in there.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for that, the timing belt was done about 4 months ago and then the leaks started, first was the core plug and now the pump itself. I am doing the belt too though as it started squealing like a banshee the other day.

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts