Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Good for Scotland :)

What an English disgrace, I'd hate to be in a position of requiring regular multiple prescriptions, when people are at a vulnerable time, they can't afford to pay.
Yet we are told we have a free National Health Service. :crazy:

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Good for Scotland :)

What an English disgrace, I'd hate to be in a position of requiring regular multiple prescriptions, when people are at a vulnerable time, they can't afford to pay.
Yet we are told we have a free National Health Service. :crazy:
Totally agree Hondo

This was always my argument against prescription charges, If it is free health care for all why charges for your medication ?

Family's on low incomes and under age or certain medical conditions are rightly so entitled to free prescriptions but quite a number of people who do not have a large income still have to pay and if you need medication frequently/infrequently £10 or £14.20 per prescription is quite a bit from your budget

Wales I believe is prescription charge free, They had talked of removing the charges in Scotland but now it is been phased out over a period of time

I pay for my prescriptions via a prepayment certificate which was costing me about £100 a year ( it is less now ) if this facility was not available my prescription cost's would be astronomical.

One of the reasons they justified the charges in the past was that people could get over the counter Meds from their pharmacist cheaper than paying a prescription charge but if you were getting it free you would use the Dr's thus costing the NHS considerably more and also taking up your GPs time needlessly

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Its a joke, Cost of living keeps climbing, Average wage keeps dropping!
:devil: :devil:
I might be over simplifying this situation, but what really pi$$es me off regarding the cost of living is, even if you are lucky enough to get a pay rise each year to compensate for the past year’s price increases, you still lose out.

You only hit the cost of living target once per year when you get the pay increase. The rest of the year you are below the target.

Like I say I might be over simplifying this situation because I’m basing what I see in my mind on the fact that the cost of living rises by a similar amount, on a monthly basis.

But pay increases don't :devil: :devil:
Mini rant over

·
Premium Member
1,965 Posts
England is sick. The english ministers are sick. £4k in taxi fairs for one ministers wife to.... SHOPPING. While the rest of us are struggling on a daily basis to survive.

What the hell are we paying these people our tax for?

They are robbing us blind. Its one rule for them and another for us. "Do as we say, not as we do" springs to mind.

John Prescott - Not paying council tax on his government flat for what... 4 years? - The rest of us would of been slammed up in jail while a burglar gets a community service order.

British people have no respect for their fellow brits. All they see us at the top is a work engine. Put more pressure on us and we'll work harder to generate even more tax revenue for them to spend. Thats all we are to them.

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
This will hit the low income workers yet again. Not only can't i afford to go the dentist, but i also can't afford to pay for prescriptions now - therefore meaning i can't afford to get ill :steam:

Why is it this country is intent on making those less well off, even worse????!!!! :mad:

·
Premium Member
1,965 Posts
Yup, I know the feeling super..

The poor get poorer while the rich get incredibly richer giving themselves a pat on the back for doing such a good job.

The british hate the british its as simple as that. As I've said above, they see the poor as nothing more than a work horse to fund their own lives. Thats all we are.

Have you not noticed? - They're destroying the NHS, they're destroying our livlihoods, they're destroying our ability to afford medicines or dental treatment. Do you not think they see us little people as a nuisance? - Perhaps it would be better if we simply all rotted away so they can continue to enjoy their lavish lifestyles.

Oh, wait, I forgot, by making sure we can't afford healthcare, and can't get decent healthcare which is normally free, we will! - We'll slowly start to rot away from society.

Super, it's a mass extermination of the lower class. I am not joking. This is serious. They're are trying to eradicate us from society by removing our means of survival. They don't want us to be healthy and they don't want us to afford the cost of living.

You guys may think the word extermination is strong, but look at everything that is happening around you.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Prescription costs frozen in NI

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7325845.stm

The cost of prescriptions in Northern Ireland is being frozen.

Prescription costs used to be linked to England, where medication now costs £7.10. Instead prescriptions will still cost £6.85 in Northern Ireland.

The move was announced by Health Minister Michael McGimpsey. He said he was considering a range of options for the future of prescription charges.

Carmel Hanna, who is on the assembly's health committee, said there should be free prescriptions in Northern Ireland.

The SDLP's Ms Hanna said: "I'm sure the department is doing the costing and the comparisons because there's a lot of money spent on administration.

"They might be better actually looking at reducing prescribing altogether, especially antibiotics and looking at using all generic medication and saving money."

Scotland has reduced the cost to £5, the first of several price drops leading to free prescriptions in 2011.

Wales introduced free prescriptions for all in April 2007.

Mr McGimpsey said: "Last year, I requested a review into the abolition of prescription charges in Northern Ireland.

"I have now received the report from the review group, and am currently considering a range of options for the future of prescription charges.

"In the interim, I can reasure the public that I have frozen prescription charges and there will be no increase at this time.

"It is vital that those who need medication aren't compelled to pay higher costs; an increase in prescription charges could deter some people from having their prescriptions dispensed, either in part or entirely."

·
Premium Member
16,794 Posts
Yup, I know the feeling super..

The poor get poorer while the rich get incredibly richer giving themselves a pat on the back for doing such a good job.

The british hate the british its as simple as that. As I've said above, they see the poor as nothing more than a work horse to fund their own lives. Thats all we are.

Have you not noticed? - They're destroying the NHS, they're destroying our livlihoods, they're destroying our ability to afford medicines or dental treatment. Do you not think they see us little people as a nuisance? - Perhaps it would be better if we simply all rotted away so they can continue to enjoy their lavish lifestyles.

Oh, wait, I forgot, by making sure we can't afford healthcare, and can't get decent healthcare which is normally free, we will! - We'll slowly start to rot away from society.

Super, it's a mass extermination of the lower class. I am not joking. This is serious. They're are trying to eradicate us from society by removing our means of survival. They don't want us to be healthy and they don't want us to afford the cost of living.

You guys may think the word extermination is strong, but look at everything that is happening around you.

Well said

S

·
0 Posts
Prescription charges are a f&*king disgrace. I recently had a chest infection and needed about eight prescriptions sorted. In about 4 trips to the chemist, I was the only one actually paying for mine. In fact, in the chemist most local to the GP's surgery, they seemed quite *suprised* that they had somebody in the shop who was actually putting their hand in their pocket

I agree completely with some of the comments in this thread. I object very strongly to the "double tax" implied by paying for prescriptions. What I mean by that is:

Employed = NI contributions + Prescription charges = Double charge

Unemployed = Benefits + No prescription charges = Double no-charge

I am obviously not referring to people who genuinely can claim benefits - I'm referring to the rest of the feckless ba$tards who can't be ar$ed to get a job so I (and the rest of us) pay them to sit on their backsides and then pay them again when they need a bl00dy prescription!

The NHS is supposed to be for all and all should have equal benefit. If somebody on benefits requires a prescription, they should pay for it on an equal footing with people who pay NI contributions. If the level of benefits is not high enough that people claiming them on a genuine basis can not afford the charge, then that needs looking at too

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
When I get my prescritions filled I use a number of Chemists due to them dispensing different generic meds at different branch's .

Very rarely am I asked for my prepayment card and they always go to tick the free/exempt boxs and are taken aback when they see I have ticked the prepayment certificate box.

What tees me off is someone I know off gets free meds for the whole family etc due to illness yet works most days on the side .:mad:

I have to pay, Yes it might just be under a £100 a year at the moment but to me it still seems unfair, I pay NI, Tax, full council Tax and water rates plus a considerable amount of indirect taxes ..

If I did not have a prepayment card it would run into a considerable amount each month.

Edit - Prepayment certificate is £107.85 per annum

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ottoman you should grass'em up, there's too many of these wasters getting away with it :steam:

By the way do you lot realise that we in England subsidise the scottish welfare system because they dont have enough of their own income to support themselves.

There was a programme on the subject last year and thats why most English people believe they should have self rule.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ottoman you should grass'em up, there's too many of these wasters getting away with it :steam:

By the way do you lot realise that we in England subsidise the scottish welfare system because they dont have enough of their own income to support themselves.

There was a programme on the subject last year and thats why most English people believe they should have self rule.
It's not me to grass people off Dude, but it is infuriating.

I worked with a chap once who used to just tick the exempt box on the script even tho he was earning a very good salary, which made me question his honesty as I thought if he is doing this what else is he up to , He seemed to take umbrage when I said that's not right, he was eventually sacked from the company for fraud.

Which teed me off as it puts everyone under suspicion.

I would not mind paying for my Meds if it was a level playing field but it seems not, I'm paying for their meds while they sit in the Pub drinking on me :mad:

I could not deny anyone the right to Medication tho.

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
I am obviously not referring to people who genuinely can claim benefits - I'm referring to the rest of the feckless ba$tards who can't be ar$ed to get a job so I (and the rest of us) pay them to sit on their backsides and then pay them again when they need a bl00dy prescription!
Velcro-backs?? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ok Otto then think of it as doing a service to the rest of us hardworking tax payers.
I used to work with a woman who lived off the state but had her longterm boyfriend living with her, she hadnt declared she was working either and used too gloat all the time about the great holidays they had and luxuries they'd got. All the women kept moaning about it but could'nt be bothered to do anything about it, then the confidential DSS thing came out and she came to work one day moaning she had been caught and had to pay about £5000 back and fines :p

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
well im half scots and half english so i have no axe to grind for either side however i am reasonably politically aware and i know that the scots, northern irish and welsh are allocated approx £1,500 per head per annum more than english folk ... ( there is of course north sea oil but this generates less than the taxes handed out ) so they can afford to do these great things with the extra free cash...there is imbalance and i wonder what will happen when the funding is balanced out and the welsh and scots dont get their cash bonuses that they currently enjoy ...

·
Premium Member
8,274 Posts
Fair play Scotland for doing this. I do wonder if Englandshire will ever follow suit. Probably not.

Fortunately I don't need prescriptions very often (touch wood). But as has been said earlier the cost of living increased year on year and my wages don't (well they do, but not at the same rate).

During my wifes pregnancy and subsequent birth she has had loads of dental stuff done and got a new pair of glasses. Might as well do it while it is still free!

At least the little 'uns still get them free!

·
Premium Member
16,794 Posts
The whole system is not right, I get free prescriptions as I need a drug thats on the list to qualify for free ones, however my problem is minor, I know people with far worse problems that me who would not be here if it were not for their meds yet they still have to pay :confused: This is meant to be the UNITED Kingdom, yet is more of a Divided one

1 - 20 of 24 Posts