Independent Renault Forums banner

161 - 176 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Thanks a lot for getting touch.
I have a 53 plate Scenic fitted with the dreaded electric handbrake. In May this year my local dealer fitted a new handbrake computer, cables, brakes and pads.
Three weeks ago the handbrake failed and the dealer says it was caused by a seized linkage on one of the calipers and wont repair it under warranty.
I think its unreasonable for this to happen and wondered what you thought?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
It depends on what length of warranty they offered when the work was undertaken. Most places will offer only 3 - 6 months so good luck in getting any assistance.
Was it a main dealer ?

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Best bet to talk to Renault customer services direct. I've had good results from that.

Dave

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi
Parts and work done by main Renault dealer-warranted for one year. What I don't get is why the caliper linkage seized. I would have thought that any competent mechanic would have at least greased or lubbed this and the braking system parts to prevent this from happening or am I being nostalgic for the good old days when mechanics were mechanics not just fitters. Any idea what it says in the service schedule?
Without getting too deep into this Im told the real reason the handbrake computer is jiggered is because the yellow handle attached to the emergency brake release cable came off the cable when I pulled it. I didn't appreciate it had to be reconnected before the car was started again. On starting the car the cable wrapped itself around the computer and hey presto a £600 bill. The dealer says this is clearly detailed in the handbook-which it isn't. I think its a design fault and/ or it should be clearly detailed how important it is to the system working correctly.
Renault customer service are having none of this.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I'd ask the garage to point out the details they claim are clearly shown in the handbook.
I think I'd also be having a word with the Trading Standards people to see what they're take on things is.
For me,a 1yr warranty is just that - a 1yr warranty. They may try to wiggle out of things as they claim the problem was caused by another component not replaced by themselves.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
Trafic1.6 Gen 3 2017..120ps
49 Posts
Long time since anyone has posted on here... I'm in sunny Dumbarton near Loch Lomond, some fun facts: It is the birth Place of Jackie Stewart and David Byrne (Talking Heads), One of the most difficult climbs in the world (Rhapsody) and is the gateway to arguably the best roads in the UK, which is hugely important if your a biker lol...

161 - 176 of 176 Posts