Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I've just brought a 2001 1.6 scenic cheap as it needs a new clutch. When driving it i noticed a very slight scraping sound coming from the drivers side of the engine, near the camshafts. if you remove the oil cap it does appear to get slightly louder indicating its comming from inside. Is there anything that is prone to failing in this area as even though i now have the clutch out i was just wondering if its worth continuing?

Also when i took out the clutch i found that it was almost brand new however the friction plate was contaminated with oil comming in from the rear of the engine. Does anyone know of anyone who either sells just the friction plate or reconditions old ones?

Bit long winded i know but thanks for reading.

·
Registered
13 Posts
take the flywheel off behind there is the rear main oil seal if that is shot it will coat the lutch in oil it has to be changed otherwise it will just happen again if not the front of the gearbox the input shaft seal will be leaking. you must change both plates and bearing dont do half job not worth it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers stuart, the oil is comming from the rear corner of the engine, looks like the camshaft cover seal.

I'm pretty sure i can solve that, its the noise i am worried about.

R

·
0 Posts
Does the car have VVT if it does it could be the dephaser pulley?

If the clutch is as new like you say I would wash the friction plate in degreaser/ petrol and then heat it up with a blow lamp to burn of the residue and re-use it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great! Pity i sent the plate off for re-lining this morning. (Got a quote of around £25-30)

As for the VVT, does that mean Variable Valve Timing?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just had a look in the good old Haynes manual and there is no mention of a dephasor pully or VVT.

I might just have to take the cover off and have butchers inside.

Cheers

R

·
0 Posts
Yes Variable Valve Timing and the dephaser pulley on the inlet camshaft which advances the camshaft timing are well known for going wrong and making a right racket.

No need to take the timing belt cover off If it has got VVT then there will be a dephaser solenoid which controls the flow of oil to the dephaser pulley in the top of the rocker cover near the oil filler point and No4 spark plug.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Cars with a worn clutch will make a screeching sound as you bring the clutch back up. This is a dry clutch release bearing which will get replaced along with the clutch.

Adam

1 - 11 of 11 Posts