Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if anyone will find this useful or not but here goes:
A bloke off my old forums swears by this stuff and reckons, for the price, it's a good deal for minor scratches and apparently works for scratches down to the primer. (He isn't the seller BTW) I haven't used it, so can't comment on it myself.
eBay UK Shop - thescratchdoctor: Ebay Listings, Soft Top Care, Stain Removers

These are before and after shots of his car using this product.

Before

After

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there, I remember my Dad had a 2-stage product back in the seventies (not that I'm implying this is the same), the first stage was a 'cutting' compound which would soften the surface and take out swirls and surface scratches. The second stage was a 'polish' which gave a protective coating and a gloss.

I'm not sure how (if it isn't a colour specific product) that it can restore paintwork that's been scratched down to the primer though.:confused:

Also a pity that no mention is made regarding the quantity of product that you are buying - the price seems reasonable, but it could only be 50ml tubes...

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi i think at this price before you go down the route of paying 100+for a door repair at a Garage it has to be worth a try i would also say it my indeed work when the paint is down to the primer but i have to say it will be a big undertaking when i worked for a breakers yard we used to repair some damaged repairables i can remember that we had a red Mazda 323 with a bad scratch on the quarter panel and we got this stuff iam sorry i cant remember its name for the life of me from the spray repair shop up the road it did not take the scratch away altogether but god it did help and if the scratch had not been as wide as it was i would say it would have,so it got to be worth the money and the try???

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
I agree with Paul, its never going to work if the scratch is down to the primer/metal/plastic (Espace owners) unless it pushes the base coat into the scratch ... but that means going through several layers of laquer .... and no "miracle" finishing product is going to fix that amount of "paint/laquer" damage (well not for long anyway) ... that amount of damage requires proper refinishing... :(

Laquer scratches ... no problem, although I prefer 3M Finesse-it ... even by hand .... or better still use a red mop and plenty of water.

sorry for being such a sceptic ... esp first thing in the morning ... :)

O

·
0 Posts
OK guys I'm dubious but I'm going to be the guinea pig. I've ordered one and will do some before and after pics.

I've got a couple of nasty ones on the Grandis, like Donald says, it's worth a go at this price.

Thanks for the heads up vic

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
No problems with being sceptical, I'm one of the biggest sceptics around and a debate can only be a good thing.

I can only go by what this bloke said when he used it. I haven't used it but am thinking of giving it a try on a couple of small scratches.

At this price, I think it's worth a go before a more expensive option (respray etc.) After all, if the scratch is that bad, what is there to lose?

Regarding the deep scratches down to the primer, after looking at the article again, the bloke says that a touch up pen is used in addition to the kit (sorry for any confusion/misinformation). As some said, that sort of repair not possible without the base colour.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
No problems with being sceptical, I'm one of the biggest sceptics around and a debate can only be a good thing.

I can only go by what this bloke said when he used it. I haven't used it but am thinking of giving it a try on a couple of small scratches.

At this price, I think it's worth a go before a more expensive option (respray etc.) After all, if the scratch is that bad, what is there to lose?

Regarding the deep scratches down to the primer, after looking at the article again, the bloke says that a touch up pen is used in addition to the kit (sorry for any confusion/misinformation). As some said, that sort of repair not possible without the base colour.

Good response to the questions asked Vic ..:)

Regards

ottoman

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
i cant see how a cutting polish could remove a scratch(surface scratches yes) but deeper scratches would require some flating down first to level the paint surrounding the scratch for polishing

i find that when doing scratch repairs with paint i draw in base coat first before any flatting let it cure and flat the area lightly to remove the excess paint then draw in some laquer over the top then heat gun or hairdryer dry,then flat the area until it smooth,then polish,this makes a nicer job imo but more time consuming

1 - 9 of 9 Posts