Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

The rear seats have had the backs scratched quite badly.
Does anyone know where/if I can get replacement or a way to repair these please.

Thanks,
Jat.

S

·
0 Posts
You could try sugar soap. OG had a result with this cleaning the dirty and scuffed seat-back trays before he sold the Espace...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Selwonk,

these are quite deep scratches and there is stings of plastic coming out of them. something heavy and rough has been dragged across them.

Thanks,
Jat.

S

·
0 Posts
Ah - might not do the job then. Have you had a quote for replacement from your local dealer out of interest?

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Very fine wet'n'dry?

You May have to do the whole of the seat back though to get a uniform finish, then you could always paint/spray the backs afterwards if you are not happy with the finish. A lot of hard work but may be worth it, depending on cost of replacement backs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the ideas. I have not had a quote from the dealer yet but will ask soon. I will try to repair first as nothing to loose but time. I will ask the dealer anyway and leave the price here incase anyone else needs it.

Thanks again,
Jat.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
The wet & dry is the best method (circa 1200 grit or higher) just to take the edge off the scratches. I would also lightly run over the seat backs with a heat gun (or hair drier at a push) to soften the plastic, and level it off. It will more than likely make the surface shiny, so that's why I'm saying to do them in entireity (so it doesn't stand out). You may not need to colour it this way, as the plastic is (usually) coloured all the way through - any difference you are seeing just now is temporary.

Hope that helps

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
When i got my espace some of the seats were the same as it did not take the damage away there was a great improvment after i tryed this spray restorer that i got from halfords it took the light gray scratch back to the colour of the rest of the panel.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Mine are scratched on my Espace. I think the last owner had a go at blowing them over with spray paint as these are almost the same colour as the car anyway :d I'm tempted to spray them up properly but not sure if i should use interior paints or the normal exterior paint

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The wet & dry is the best method (circa 1200 grit or higher) just to take the edge off the scratches. I would also lightly run over the seat backs with a heat gun (or hair drier at a push) to soften the plastic, and level it off. It will more than likely make the surface shiny, so that's why I'm saying to do them in entireity (so it doesn't stand out). You may not need to colour it this way, as the plastic is (usually) coloured all the way through - any difference you are seeing just now is temporary.

Hope that helps

Hi Paul, what would you use to smooth them over once the backs are heated up?

thanks to all who replied to this thread,

Jat.:d

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there, I have used this technique before when repairing a Mercedes Dashboard which had been gouged by the mechanic who replaced the instrument cluster.
The area was quite small, so what I used was a heat gun (switching it between max heat & max cool) to gently raise the surface temp without scorching/melting the plastic. The plastic had a stippled texture which I could re-create with my fingers and the tip of a stanley knife, then to 'fuse' the surface, I used a teflon sheet and an aluminium block lightly touching the warm & soft surface.
If the plastic does go glossy (that's if it gets too hot, too quickly), once it has cooled completely and solidified, you can dull the surface by using some 2000 grit (dry).

It can be difficult to explain this(sorry), but trust me, I do this for a living. I would suggest that you perfect your technique on a small inconspicuous area first to build-up your confidence, and work up from there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts