Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone,can somone please help,i have 1997 clio 1.2 and every time i start it and somtimes when i drive it the cam belt sqeels,is there anyway off stopping it,does the cam belt need changing,if so is it easy and how do i go about doing this myself?cheers nick:)

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Highly unlikely to be the cambelt, it is 'toothed' the only way it would squeal is the tension rollers etc which are smooth surfaced and they are not power driven. Most probably the auxillary drive belt.
Buy a can of 'Belt Slip' and spray the auxillary belt as it ticks over. This will act as a temporary cure, but probably need to adjust the tension of the belt.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Welcome to the forum.:)

As Mick says,it's more likely to be the auxillary belt causing the problem.I'd have the belt replaced and tensioned properly as they have been known to snap which can then damage the cambelt which can lead to engine damage.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does the sound change when you rev up the engine?
If so it might be dirt in the tension pulley of the cambelt that impedes the free rotation. Sometimes happens as a result of an oil leak.
If it does not relate immediately to engine revs ot steering movement it most likely is the auxillary belt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts