Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is making a screeching noise, and obviously the first thing I got checked was the fan belt.

The guy in the garage looked at it and it seemed ok so he sprayed some stuff on it but it has made no difference, so he is going to change the fan belt to see if it solves it.

However he did mention something about it being the 'pullers'. Could someone give me a quick explanation as to what that is and the likely cost to resolve it if thats what the problem should be.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Phil - I think the mechanic was referring to the "pulleys" - there is possibility the bearing inside the tensioner pulley could be duff. How old is the car and what mileage has it done. The auxillary belt needs to be removed to check - if a new pulley is fitted it is recommended the belt is replaced.:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Phil - I think the mechanic was referring to the "pulleys" - there is possibility the bearing inside the tensioner pulley could be duff. How old is the car and what mileage has it done. The auxillary belt needs to be removed to check - if a new pulley is fitted it is recommended the belt is replaced.:)
It is 1996 Laguna, but I'm sure sure of the mileage, it says 63,000 but I find that hard to believe.

How much would this new pulley cost and for fitting?

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Phil - there may be more than one pulley that needs attention - and to be honest only by taking the belt off can you find out. I think fitting shouldn't be more than an hours labour and you either try a Renault dealers for a price of the tensioner pulley or try the link below.

GSF Car Parts, cheap car parts direct to you

You say you doubt the mileage on your car - it could be right - what sort of condition is the rest of the car in. I have a 1994 Diesel Clio which has only 50,000 miles on the clock and I have been able to varify this through previous owners.:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it is in good condition I must admit. I just thought 60,000 seemed far too low. Maybe I was wrong.

Tanks for the help :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts