Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Espace makes a sort of screeching sound (like when the belt slips only different) when slipping the clutch i.e. taking off in 1st gear only.

It sounds a bit like a belt screching, only its more 'heavier' sounding than that and it seems to be coming from the battery side rather than the belts side but I could be wrong.

Whilst writing this, I don't know why but I'm suddenly thinking power steering - is this driven by the same belt?

Anyways, any ideas on what this could be please? Doesn't seem to happen when revving it in neutral, just when taking off in 1st gear (not always, but when the clutch is slipped too much) or at a very low speed in 2nd gear when trying to push it.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
:) hi. it sounds like the thrust bearing may be starting to show some wear and tare, i take it when you dip the clutch and give the gas some beans it will screech?

if it is this bud dont let it go to long without having it repaird,as the thrust bearings on Renaults tend to brake up and cut into the front bearing in the box,and also the selector fork aswell, which means you will have to replace these aswell as the clutch kit. very pricey!

i hope its not this tbh but it does sound like it to what you are describing so good luck Alex:)

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Alex. It does seem to be coming from that side but not under hard acceleration, i.e. if I let the clutch out to much and not enough gas then it will make that noise, or if I slow down coming to a junction and try taking off in 2nd rather than 1st then it will make the same noise.

I will get it looked at but if it is the thrust bearing, is it a cluch out job and therefore it will make sense to get a new clutch, but what else should be done as a precaution?

J

·
0 Posts
:) hi. it sounds like the thrust bearing may be starting to show some wear and tare, i take it when you dip the clutch and give the gas some beans it will screech?

if it is this bud dont let it go to long without having it repaird,as the thrust bearings on Renaults tend to brake up and cut into the front bearing in the box,and also the selector fork aswell, which means you will have to replace these aswell as the clutch kit. very pricey!

i hope its not this tbh but it does sound like it to what you are describing so good luck Alex:)
Yep stop on Alex ...............I'd agree its the thrust bearing

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
hi:) the gear box will have to be removed, the clutch should be replaced to save hassle in the future, also the bearing will come with the clutch kit, the front bearing(thrust bearing race) should be inspected, there should be no scoughs or roughness etc. also check the selector fork for wear at the lugs which hold the bearing in place.

hope this has helped and good luck Alex:)

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx... will get it looked at over the weekend.

Any ideas on how much i can expect to pay for parts plus labour? 2.2dT (1997) ?

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
cant give you a price of the top of my head but put it into a independent garage as it will probably save you about £500 quid or even more lol

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did a quick search for clutch kits and they came up between £80 - £150 plus VAT (not sure if a thrust bearing is part of the kit or not though).... so the rest I assume is labour! I bet it is labour-intensive?

PS: Thanks for the replies.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I've got a noisey thrust bearing on my Audi A4, its been like it for well over a year, i will wait until it breaks or the clutch goes, before replacing.:)

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea,I hate spendind money when it's still working! :rofl:

The clutch on my Laguna has a faint squeal as well at idle... is that the same?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts