Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I a new to this forum.

2010 Laguna Coupe which started to jam when pulling the seat clip to move seat forward for access to back seats. I figured that if I gave it a bit more of a pull it would break free, but it just broke!

Terrible build quality on the internal plastic parts. Anyway, I had the clip replaced at local Renault and low and behold the seat would not lift forward upon collection. They took it away and did something. 2 days later the seat jammed again.

Took it back in and they repaired it and it jammed again. They informed me that the only option was a new seat which would be around £1000!!!

This is Bridgend Renault by the way so avoid as the guy in charge Leighton is a complete money grabber. Insisted that I put the car on the machine at £80 even it was a seat clip replacement. So I do not trust them.

I have been living with this problem for 10 months, but now MOT is due and I have checked this out in Halfords and it is a failure. Which is fair enough.

My question is how do I get the plastic case off the back off the seat? If I can get into the back I can have a proper look at the issue. I am loathe to just pull in case I break more cheap plastic parts again.

Incidentally, Renault customer support are an embarrassment to the words. They say that they care about health and safety, but I threw it back at them and stated that if you cared then you would do something about this. I think that this is a serious health and safety issue but Renault will not take it seriously.

It is appalling build quality and should not happen on a five year old car. The ruddy seat clip should last for hundreds of thousands of goes. They led me to believe that if I took the car into Renault and found that the parts were genuine Renault and that nobody had tampered that I may get some help.

I did this and they had no intention of helping. I have just read a similar thread of a guy who had a similar issue. His warranty and run out 3 weeks before and they only helped him 50% cost even with full service history. They are so idiotic that they cannot see how much damage this does to their future business.

This is urgent as my MOT is due in 10 days. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
21,502 Posts
Can't help on the seat but Halfords seem to be being a little strict.
This is what the manual says...
MOT information - Doors and Seats
Seats
1.Check the driver’s and all passengers’ seats for security.
2.Check that the backrests of all seats (front and rear) can be secured in their normal upright position.
If the seat is secure and locked in an upright position, why would they fail it?
Unless we are talking driver's seat?
3.Check that the driver’s seat position can be adjusted forwards and backwards and secured in the selected positions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. It's on the passenger side and is in a sitting position.

Tbh even if i can get it through an mot i need to get this fixed. I have a baby in the back and this could be a real issue in an accident or if the drivers side goes.

So hopo someone can help me access the back of the seat. It may be similar on other Renault cars.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
21,502 Posts
Should not be an MOT fail then so I'd put that to one side.
And not go to Halfords or any other national franchise for an MOT btw.
See if you can find the guy the local traders use.
Will sort a decent MOT without trying to load added value work on it, they tend to be busy enough without looking to make work.

Got a photo of the clip/handle... may jog someone's memory?

·
Tartan terrorist in a dress..
19,293 Posts
Have a hunt through here as i am sure this question popped up recently ...think halfords may be right as I think I have crossed this issue before as it may compromise safety ...i could be wrong ..asked son in law he says if luck tester may check rear belts from drivers side seat

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The clip is stuck but the problem is in the cables so i need to remove this plastic cover. I pull a gap as seen in image 2 however they seem to be held on at the top and bottom. Frightened to just pull in case the plastic breaks. Must be somebody out there who has got into one similar.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Tartan terrorist in a dress..
19,293 Posts
To acces that you need to remove full seat to get in but be warned you have an airbag in that seat so be careful prodding about there just now

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had confirmation from another couple of MOT garages that the lack of seat movement is not a fail as long as it meets various other criteria, which it does.

Regarding the airbag, I thought that there would be an airbag sign if there was one behind the seat. Also, I would be very surprised if I had to remove the seat. I can access the plastic edge right around (it doesn't go under the seat) and also there is some slight left/right movement in it.

Has anyone got access to a workshop manual that they could check?

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,402 Posts
fill in your garage, and will have a look.:smile2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had confirmation from another couple of MOT garages that the lack of seat movement is not a fail as long as it meets various other criteria, which it does.

Regarding the airbag, I thought that there would be an airbag sign if there was one behind the seat. Also, I would be very surprised if I had to remove the seat. I can access the plastic edge right around (it doesn't go under the seat) and also there is some slight left/right movement in it.

Has anyone got access to a workshop manual that they could check?
Did you ever fix the problem as I have the same problem with the passenger seat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts