Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I came onto this forum before Christmas and received some good advice on replacing my rear discs, so I am hoping for more good advice

Recently replaced rear discs and pads (with genuine Renault parts), due to a cracked rear disc. Problem is I have another cracked rear disc (same one)

When I replaced the disc the rear piston was slightly seized and difficult to wind back into the calliper. I freed it and tested it and kept an eye on it and all appeared to be fine, which it has been since November.

However at some point it must have seized again because now I have another cracked disc (same disc again).

Checked everything earlier and the handbrake cable is working fine, the piston didn't move and the pads were stuck on to the disc - wouldn't turn. Defo the piston is seized again....

My question is, how easy is it to replace the rear piston? I take it I will need to bleed the brakes (not done this before!)

So i will need to...

1. replace the rear piston/calliper,
  2. replace both discs
  3. bleed the brake fluid
I'm looking for any advice before starting this. Also would you replace with genuine Renault discs/pads? How much do you think a garage would charge?

Thank you

Richard

·
Registered
98 Posts
i dont bother with brand name disks anymore because they just rustaway regardless. I buy the cheapest set of pads and disks from ebay and replace the lot about evry 18 mths. German not chineese.
you can replace just 1 caliper ok, you may get a rebuilt one cheaper, and money back for your old part.

spray the hose fittings with wd40, use the correct size tools so as not to round off the hex. use a brake hose clamp if necesary, or a plug to screw on the end of the hose ( even better ).

lubricate the slider bolts with coppaslip, other grease is not good enough.

when bleeding, connect a 4mm ID tube to the bleed nippel down into a transparent flask with fluid in the bottom. bleed all 4 corners to be sure its all air free.

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
i dont bother with brand name disks anymore because they just rustaway regardless. I buy the cheapest set of pads and disks from ebay and replace the lot about evry 18 mths. German not chineese.
you can replace just 1 caliper ok, you may get a rebuilt one cheaper, and money back for your old part.

spray the hose fittings with wd40, use the correct size tools so as not to round off the hex. use a brake hose clamp if necesary, or a plug to screw on the end of the hose ( even better ).

lubricate the slider bolts with coppaslip, other grease is not good enough.

when bleeding, connect a 4mm ID tube to the bleed nippel down into a transparent flask with fluid in the bottom. bleed all 4 corners to be sure its all air free.
I would say coppaslip is no good - its not a lubricant after all:)

I have used Mintex 'Ceratec' with great results for sliding pins and the backs of pads.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The original Renault rear discs come with bearings included too whereas OEM discs don't as far as I am aware.

Got a quote recently of £125 for rear discs and £57 for pads + VAT from Renault. Would also get 30% off discs and 20% off pads.

Think my rear driver-side caliper made be seized after the rear brake only feels like it's securing the passenger wheel. Still on same discs after 57k (mostly mway and A Roads though a fair share of school runs)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
The original Renault rear discs come with bearings included too whereas OEM discs don't as far as I am aware.

Got a quote recently of £125 for rear discs and £57 for pads + VAT from Renault. Would also get 30% off discs and 20% off pads.

Think my rear driver-side caliper made be seized after the rear brake only feels like it's securing the passenger wheel. Still on same discs after 57k (mostly mway and A Roads though a fair share of school runs)
OEM means original equipment manufacturer.

After -market manufacture rear discs either with or without bearings are becoming more commonly available.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts