Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am currently having problems with the clutch on my 1991 2.0 TXE (248,000 miles). There is no adjustment in the cable between the point where the clutch slips and the gears crash, i.e. if I slacken off the cable to the point where it doesn't slip I can't select a gear without it crunching. Sometimes double declutching works, sometimes not. I have checked the clutch cable and release arm mechanism but they seem ok. I have replaced the clutch/cover and thrust bearing but this changes nothing. Is my gearbox (synchromesh maybe ?) or gear linkage suspect ?

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi i would have a look at the linkage first it would be the easiest option and cheapest to fix or repair

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, just solved this one. The clutch pedal had a nice fatigue failure just above the pivot. When I depressed the clutch pedal approx 75 percent of the movement was taken up by the top portion of the pedal flexing. Took it off, got the MIG out and zapped it back together. Hey presto, smooth as silk clutch operation.

Didn't think of that as I haven't heard of a clutch pedal breaking in half before.:eek:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts