Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 clio 1.5dci which I bought 2 weeks ago, just had it serviced and a cambelt kit fitted, it has the SERV light on the dash, the garage plugged it into the computer and it showed no faults!!!! it drives fine but I would like this light off, any ideas how this can be achieved

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
Fiat Panda Multijet 1300 Diesel
5,413 Posts
If yours as the mpg trip computer then as the last post if not it's done by pressing the trip button on the instruments, I cant remember just how but if you press and hold the trip button then keeping it down turn on the ignition the clocks will go into a self test mode press the button or turn the ignition off or just leave it for long enough to turn it off, that may reset the service light if not it is a similar sequence using the trip.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2005 clio 1.5dci which I bought 2 weeks ago, just had it serviced and a cambelt kit fitted, it has the SERV light on the dash, the garage plugged it into the computer and it showed no faults!!!! it drives fine but I would like this light off, any ideas how this can be achieved
as previose post try resetting service indicator if not sound like ecu fault as ser light doubles as fault light

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
The SERV light isn't an indication of the car needing a service,it's showing a fault in the car systems somewhere (ABS,Airbag,Engine Management etc).

I suspect the garage you took it to said there were no faults logged as they were using an EOBD code reader rather than something that can read Renault specific stuff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: SERV light on Clio and Airbag light

Now the aibag light has come on the dash and does not go off, so I now have 2 fault lights on the dash, the SERV light and the air bag light. I have seen some scanners for sale on ebay which use OBD2 software, has any one used/ bought one of these and do they work, or can anyone recommend one

·
5,413 Posts
Under the seats one each side are 2 grey connector blocks turn ignition off leave for about half a hour just to be sure then on the side of these blocks are green bits by easing these out the blocks open if you have any contact cleaner give the contacts a spray if not just open and close then once or twice then try that, bad connections on these blocks often through faults and a cheap scanner will most likely not read them.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Ralph is bang on with great info here:d

I had this exact same issue on my sons Clio and took around 30 secs under the passenger side seat to find the connector.....I checked for firm connections and one of the wires was loose and I fixed that, BAM off went the SERV light and the airbag light never to return:d

Go check it out and hope it helps

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
did what you said, took the blocks apart and snapped them back together a couple of times and now the airbag light is out, thanks for that great bit of advice, it is much appreciated, my SERV light has stayed on so I presume I still have another problem elsewhere! I might try a scanner now to see if it will pick up the fault, can anyone recommend one?

·
Super Moderator
9,207 Posts
ELM 327 (£14 Ebay) & laptop cured my Scenic engine management light.

·
5,413 Posts
The air bag light often comes on when a car finds a new owner as they tend to move the seats about this upsets the connections under the seat that can only be described as crap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have noticed that the second position on my wipers control stalk doesn't do anything, in the book it says rain detection control (auto) but it doesn't seem to work, could this be why my SERV light is on, and has anyone else had this? how do i sort it thanks?

·
5,413 Posts
On mine the second position is just faster, but both positions if turned on wile the car is moving go to intermittent when you stop returning to what ever speed when you set off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my wiper stalk has 4 positions, the first 2 do nothing, i presume the top one is "off" the 3rd one puts the wipers on and the 4th position puts them on fast, so i think the 2nd position which the book says is auto is faulty as it is doing nowt!
perhaps this is why my SERV light is on .
I have seen a scanner for sale which is basically a usb dongle and a cd of software which you put on your laptop, has anyone else bought one of these and do they work?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The connectors under the seats are a big problem.

If you have a good quality crimper (not one or those crap pliers type) then a more permanent method is to replace the plastic connectors with bullet type crimps and be done with the problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.