Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Laguna had it's 54k service earlier (done at 49k) and along with changing the rear pads (which I supplied) it cost me a grand total of £120 :d
Probably would have cost me 3 times that if I'd taken it to a Renault dealership ;)

But.......

When I picked the Lag up, I was told the rear bushes are on their way out. Apparently the rubber is starting to peel back :confused:

They said it's a 6 hour job as the rear beam has to be dropped, but after some negotiating we arrived at a price of £200 labour plus parts. Is this a good price? Will need to get it done within the next month as my MOT runs out mid-April.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Matt,it's no where near a 6 hour job!.We haven't got the special tool where I work,but I still managed to change the bushes on a Lag 2 we had in a while ago in well under 2 hours.The tool allows you to change the bushes with the axle in situ,so this cuts the time down even further.

Good price for the service and pad change,though.:).

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
The Laguna had it's 54k service earlier (done at 49k) and along with changing the rear pads (which I supplied) it cost me a grand total of £120 :d
Probably would have cost me 3 times that if I'd taken it to a Renault dealership ;)

But.......

When I picked the Lag up, I was told the rear bushes are on their way out. Apparently the rubber is starting to peel back :confused:

They said it's a 6 hour job as the rear beam has to be dropped, but after some negotiating we arrived at a price of £200 labour plus parts. Is this a good price? Will need to get it done within the next month as my MOT runs out mid-April.
Hi,

Had my bushes done last tuesday .. £160 from my local garage ... bushes £36.00 pair +p/p from ebay .

Its a 4 hr job without the special tool think that may be quicker

Total cost £207.00 :p :p

chakota

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Matt,it's no where near a 6 hour job!.We haven't got the special tool where I work,but I still managed to change the bushes on a Lag 2 we had in a while ago in well under 2 hours.The tool allows you to change the bushes with the axle in situ,so this cuts the time down even further.

Good price for the service and pad change,though.:).
Garage who quoted him probably know that .. trying to make a fast buck me-thinks :mad: :mad:

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers chaps :)

Lag.... Looks like I'll be heading down your way for a change of bushes then ;) Best get some beers in :rofl:

Chakota....... Don't think they're trying to make a quick buck out of me! The owner and the main mechanic have been family friends for 15 years at least. Will have to haggle a bit harder ;)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
If you can get it for £200 including the bushes,then that'll be better!.Make sure you use Renault ones,though.The aftermarket ones are suspect.....not that the Renault ones are up to much,but you know what I mean!!!!:)

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Cheers chaps :)

Lag.... Looks like I'll be heading down your way for a change of bushes then ;) Best get some beers in :rofl:

Chakota....... Don't think they're trying to make a quick buck out of me! The owner and the main mechanic have been family friends for 15 years at least. Will have to haggle a bit harder ;)
Ooops!! apologies matt :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
If you can get it for £200 including the bushes,then that'll be better!.Make sure you use Renault ones,though.The aftermarket ones are suspect.....not that the Renault ones are up to much,but you know what I mean!!!!:)

Hi Lagti ,

Like i said got mine from ebay had them fitted few days back ...will let you know if they give up on me :p :p :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi

Maybe they gave a 6 hour quote coz they might not have done the job before, but, I did the job myself on the drive without the special tool - took about four hours including bits and bobs that you pick up on the way plus bleeding the brakes. Needed a mate to help me lift up the axle once the job was done, needless to say it dropped off!! I tell you what was a complete bi**ch was the shocks lower bushes stuck with corrosion in the axle, had to jack the car higher and take the axle off with the shocks sticking up:steam: But once off everything went back with quality waterproof grease. Watch the arm and plastic swing arm for the ABS, could be broken very easily. Whilst the axle is off, exercise and lube the hand brake levers on the calipers, rotate them with a quality pair of grips. 200 squid - sounds about right really, they have a living to make and overheads that you and I don't have, after all I just had to wait for the weather:)

Regards and good luck

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts