Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of buying a Renault megane 1.5 dCi (diesel) tomorrow from an independnet dealer but I'm a bit worried by the servicing schedule. The car looks in good shape and has only done 16,000 miles and is first registered April 2004. However it does not have any service stamps in the log book. Surely it should have been due for a service - or am I wrong? Also there is a problem with a window motor - but the salesman assures me that as it is still under warranty that any Renault garage will fix it for free. Is he correct?

Many thanks

Richard

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
Hi, Renaults have ludicrously long service intervals, check your car handbook. My laguna is only supposed to have services at 18000 mile intervals or every 2 years so yours has not reached the mileage when the service is due. when I got mine the dealer said it had all service records but there was only one in the service book and it had done 34000 miles.

Any Renault garage would do the warranty work but I would insist the dealer does this work through the warranty before you purchase the car.

most people in this forum reccomend halving the service intervals.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hello & Welcome to the Forums Richard.

Yes your Megane should be on the 18000 miles or 2 years servicing schedule, So your Megane should have been serviced on April 2006, Also depending on the date it was registered on the warranty will expire in April, Renault will not honor any warranty if it has not been serviced as per their schedule, This vehicle might have been an import which only came with 2 years warranty, I would not purchase a Renault with out a very extensive warranty or full service history, As Davesss says most people recommend halving the service intervals on oil and filter changes at least.

I personally would walk away from this car, There are loads of Megane IIs on the used market which have full service history and come with very extensive warrantys .

Regards

Ottoman

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Run, don't walk!

Absolutely agree - if the garage expects you to buy a car with a fault showing - when the information they are providing (regarding the warranty is wrong), the alarm bells should be ringing for what else may be lurking under the surface...

I fear if you buy this car, you may well be a regular poster (for all the wrong reasons).

Paul:)

A

·
0 Posts
SOME GREAT COMMENTS POSTED

AND I ALSO AGREE "the alarm bells should be ringing"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gulp!! I'm now feeling mightily embarrased as I've gone ahead and bought it. I did phone the Bristol Renault agent yesterday morning and they seemed to imply that the window motor could be fixed under warranty. I'll keep fingers crossed!
However I am very pleased with the drive back from Wales, particularly impressed with the reported mpg of 50 plus - which is why I looked for the 1.4 model rather than 1.9

Thanks for all the comments,
Richard
PS This is the first time I've ever used a forum - I'm a bit of a newcomer to this world! Many thanks again for the advice - and I just hope the car lives up to my expectations (logbook shows it was owned by a leasing company before). I'll keep watching this site.

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
My 2006 Scenic 1.5dci 106 hp has a service schedule of 12000 miles or a year which ever comes first.......many posts on this forum advising changing oil at 6000/70000 miles on diesel engines

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gulp!! I'm now feeling mightily embarrased as I've gone ahead and bought it. I did phone the Bristol Renault agent yesterday morning and they seemed to imply that the window motor could be fixed under warranty. I'll keep fingers crossed!
However I am very pleased with the drive back from Wales, particularly impressed with the reported mpg of 50 plus - which is why I looked for the 1.4 model rather than 1.9

Thanks for all the comments,
Richard
PS This is the first time I've ever used a forum - I'm a bit of a newcomer to this world! Many thanks again for the advice - and I just hope the car lives up to my expectations (logbook shows it was owned by a leasing company before). I'll keep watching this site.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
No Problems Richard ,

This Forum is a very people friendly place, We all try to help each other along, you are doing fine.

A note on your vehicle not having any service stamps, If you contact a Renault Dealership they should be able to tell you if it has been serviced as per their schedules and also any work that has been carried out under warranty, Also if you contact the leasing company they will quite often if you ask them nicely will give you a history printout of the vehicle while it was in their ownership, Sorry for the long winded reply.

Any other questions you have do not hesitate to post in the appropriate section.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
hi richard, quick tip have a look at the number plates and see if its got the supplying dealers number on it then give them a call and ask if the cars been serviced by them, they should be very helpfull, they will also be able to tell you exactly when the warrenty expires,
while you are having your window repaired have a chat with them about taking out harmony extended warrenty itll be worth it and give you some pease of mind knowing that you have cover for an extra couple of years!
there are now different service frequancys depending on engines there are also different oils which is how the distantces between servicing can go 18k miles or 2 years!
the new euro 4 engines are now running at 12k or 12months which ever is 1st!
enjoy your megane bigshow

1 - 11 of 11 Posts